• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Comparing SSD's

Both of you might be interested in this - but you better hurry.

SAMSUNG SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250KW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Limit 3 per customer.
250GB SSD
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250KW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Regular price $209.99
Your Price: $149.99
With Promo Code
EMCYTZT2903
Shop Now
Deal valid between 9:00am on 2/9/13 to 8:59am PST on 2/10/13

See Newegg.com - DEALiCIOUS Weekenders: $60 OFF 250GB SSD, Incredible Deal on a LG LED TV + MORE!

Few hours too late for that. :(

Very soon I'm gonna finally pull the trigger and get my ssd

Of course then the compulsion to just build a new system will rear it's head again. Lol

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
News from Sandisk

Regarding replacement process, the RMA process requires you to send it to our local depot nearest to you - which may not be in your own country - at your own expense.

Upon purchase we would recommend providing the following information in order to register your SSD for warranty purposes:

- Exact model of the device
- Serial number (Take note of all the numbers that you can find on the device)
- Color of your device
- Capacity of your device
- Place of purchase
- Date of purchase (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Do you see the letter "R" or the word "Refurb/Refurbished" at the back of the device?
- SanDisk Sealed Retail Packaging when purchased? (Yes/No)

We remain at your service for any additional information or assistance.

-_-

They didn't really answer my question...

Also, I apparently ordered the Sandisk SSD off Amazon ( I don't recall this, but it might have been late at night) and it's saying it'll despatch at the end of this month.... So I have pretty much "reserved" that SSD for the £138 price until a few days before the 28th...

Might have to cancel and either re-order from Scan, or order a different SSD.

(Another) Quick Question: If my SSD was to have a fault, would it be more likely to happen within the first 12 months of having it?

Another thing : I've just noticed that everywhere, the Sandisk is either d or out of stock? Scan says it's been overdue since January....

Edit: Sandisk replied again with the exact same email, just with the words 'send' and 'at your own expense' in bold. However, they also sent a copy of their warranty stuff, and it looks like the closest depot is in Ireland.... Which would cost between £15-25.

After a quick search online, only Crucial and Kingston have rma depots in the UK. Apprently Intel will pay for shipping to Holland. Shipping in the UK is cheap / might be free....

Also, it says that night angel edited this post, may i ask why?

Upvote 0
Could it be that the big SSD price drop is coming to an end? I don't have any clue about that. But if it is, now would be the time to buy, before prices climb any more.

Never an easy decision. And all too often even the best-informed decision will have a person kicking themselves only days later. That's how it works! :pcguru:

Sandisk has increased on Amazon to

Reactions: Speed Daemon
Upvote 0
I've just realised that the cost of shipping to Ireland or Holland is the same....

I think I might cancel my sandisk and order the Samsung 840 again... The only thing putting me off is the difference in write speeds (around 5-10MBs) and im gonna guess that it wouldn't make much if difference. The Sammy was shown to be slightly better at Reading and is

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know. I just got tired of waiting and researching... Plus the sandisk was out of stock so it'd take ages to arrive.

I think I'd be happier with Samsung customer service, and the rma would cost the same.... As well as having the option to use scans RTB warranty:p
I can't remember exactly but i think the Samsung just beat the Sandisk is all of the tests (smashed it in incompressibles) but the Sandisk (when it beat the Sammy) beat it by more of a margin.

Although, saying that, the actual real life difference less than 10MBs would probably be small...

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know. I just got tired of waiting and researching... Plus the sandisk was out of stock so it'd take ages to arrive.

I think I'd be happier with Samsung customer service, and the rma would cost the same.... As well as having the option to use scans RTB warranty:p
I can't remember exactly but i think the Samsung just beat the Sandisk is all of the tests (smashed it in incompressibles) but the Sandisk (when it beat the Sammy) beat it by more of a margin.

Although, saying that, the actual real life difference less than 10MBs would probably be small...

Word.

Think I'm going to microcenter today and getting mine

Upvote 0
Is there anything I need to do re: getting my SSD set up? I've seen a video about Intel ISR or whatever it's called when it "intelligently" loads things from HDD to SSD....

I don't know the best way to get Windows up and running... And other things like TRIM, Achi etc... And also how i should spread my data across the two drives.

But after that I might consider dual booting with some Linux :p

Obvs I have lil idea what I'm doing :p

Help?

Upvote 0
I'd advise a clean installation of Windows to the SSD, assuming it's going to be the system volume. Win7 is clever enough to detect the drive type and partition it correctly, along with disabling the scheduled defrag.

TRIM is supported natively in the OS, but its effectiveness also depends on the ability of the drivers to pass the commands. The AMD chipset drivers for my mainboard still don't do this 100%, so I use the standard Win7 ACHI drivers; a healthy drive and reliable data is more imprtant than a couple of dozen benchmark points. ;)

Upvote 0
I'd advise a clean installation of Windows to the SSD, assuming it's going to be the system volume. Win7 is clever enough to detect the drive type and partition it correctly, along with disabling the scheduled defrag.

TRIM is supported natively in the OS, but its effectiveness also depends on the ability of the drivers to pass the commands. The AMD chipset drivers for my mainboard still don't do this 100%, so I use the standard Win7 ACHI drivers; a healthy drive and reliable data is more imprtant than a couple of dozen benchmark points. ;)

Agreed, I been wanting to do a fresh install of windows for at least a year anyway. (ever since I got the enterprise version from school)

Plus its always a good thing to redo it every once and a while to get rid of junk that you don't really need.

My issue is that I know I want to dual-boot 8 and 7. I also am gonna start playing with VMware and using virtual servers (for school and for my own entertainment)

I'm seriously considering saying **** it and going for the Samsung 840 512Gb :smokingsomb:

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
My SSD arrived!

Question is, where shall i put it? I assume they don't create much heat, but i don't want it to block airflow or not get enough air.
I have a CM Storm Enforcer.

Options :

1. Put in a 3.5" bracket and put it above/below the HDD at the bottom here :
daveru4a.jpg

2. Remove the HDD cage and put it on top of the bit holding the HDD here :
qybu7ypa.jpg

3. Rotate HDD cage and put it on one of the slots there

4. Put it in the SSD cage on the bottom of the case (will require moving of the PSU cables somewhere, so it's probably a bad idea)

Ssd cage :
gy7yvupu.jpg

3.5" bracket :
banype4u.jpg

Upvote 0
My SSD arrived!

Question is, where shall i put it? I assume they don't create much heat, but i don't want it to block airflow or not get enough air.
I have a CM Storm Enforcer.

Options :

1. Put in a 3.5" bracket and put it above/below the HDD at the bottom here :
daveru4a.jpg

2. Remove the HDD cage and put it on top of the bit holding the HDD here :
qybu7ypa.jpg

3. Rotate HDD cage and put it on one of the slots there

4. Put it in the SSD cage on the bottom of the case (will require moving of the PSU cables somewhere, so it's probably a bad idea)

Ssd cage :
gy7yvupu.jpg

3.5" bracket :
banype4u.jpg

I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my SSD. It doesn't come with a adjusted bracket for 2.5", but my case already has removable trays that slide in and out. I may just buy some screws and just have it mount to one side. It's not like the PC moves at all, so it's not that big of a deal imo.

Upvote 0
Yeah, true. My question is more 'would it be bad for the SSD to go under the HDD at the bottom of the case'...
I heard that you should leave a empty slot between each HDD, not sure if that translates to ssd' s too.

I suppose for the mean time it won't make a difference, so I'm gonna start getting windows on it now. I guess it's just the same as i did on the HDD - but can i then use software to move programs, games and stuff like My Documents over onto it?

Edit: after spending all this time getting the cabling to fit in the case, I'm now installing Windows onto the SSD - with the HDD unplugged. Once it's installed, what do I need to do? Do I need to bother reinstalling drivers etc?

Edit : windows is now installed! What's the best way to move over some of the things from the HDD, and to run things from it? I'm guessing I should use the disk I got with my SSD? Anything else?.

Upvote 0
Yeah, true. My question is more 'would it be bad for the SSD to go under the HDD at the bottom of the case'...
I heard that you should leave a empty slot between each HDD, not sure if that translates to ssd' s too.

I suppose for the mean time it won't make a difference, so I'm gonna start getting windows on it now. I guess it's just the same as i did on the HDD - but can i then use software to move programs, games and stuff like My Documents over onto it?

Edit: after spending all this time getting the cabling to fit in the case, I'm now installing Windows onto the SSD - with the HDD unplugged. Once it's installed, what do I need to do? Do I need to bother reinstalling drivers etc?

Edit : windows is now installed! What's the best way to move over some of the things from the HDD, and to run things from it? I'm guessing I should use the disk I got with my SSD? Anything else?.

Me thinks you'd need to re-install whatever drivers since it's a fresh install of the OS. As for the copying, use whatever cloning software you were given with the SSD.

Upvote 0
Question is, where shall i put it?

Wherever you can fit it and still access the cable connections. As you suggest, it produces negligable heat and will operate in any orientation. :)

The four HDD bays in my own chassis are occupied with platter drives, so I attached the 2.5" cradle that came with my SSD to the top of the drive cradle by drilling a couple of suitably-sized holes to take the supplied screws.

Btw, a friend has run with one stuck vertically using Velcro tape for over two years without a problem! :D

Upvote 0
I was told that I could just stick it behind the motherboard and it'd be fine too!
I was more concerned of it blocking airflow to my hdd and the rest of the pc although i don't know why.

Putting it in a 3.5" bay with the HDD wouldn't have worked with just one SATA power cable for it, the HDD and the optical drive...

This meant I had to break out the screwdriver and attach the ssd cage to the HDD bays.... And whilst I was checking everything, i realised that the sata cable wouldn't reach to the optical drive :facepalm:

So i had to use two cables and I probably would be been ok putting the drives on top of each other... But at least they've both got air... And there's room in the case (cable management was hard this time round)

TL;DR

I wasted time trying to get the SSD,HDD, and optical drive powered off one cable. Int eh end, I still had to use 2, but at least now it's a bit more roomy.

Alright, I just need to do a few more windows updates and install a few drivers...

I'm guessing the data migration disk will help, but how do i run some programmes off the HDD and others off the ssd?

I'm thinking of just putting my documents, downloads, pictures and video folders and then a few programs like steam, photo shop, chrome etc... And then one or two games (I have 195GB left already and I've downloaded nothing! I was told to always leave like 20% free as well...? ) Does that sound ok?

Would it be worth my time to try that Intel Smart Caching thingymabob...?

Edit: Running windows solely off the SSD...man - It's such a weird experience! Everything's really fast and there's no constant noise from the HDD!

Edit 2 : I was having a quick look at some "SSD Tips"... I remember some people were talking about pagefiles and stuff....whats teh best thing to do with it? Although, I might worry about this later, after I've set up everything :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones