• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root complete newb with rooted razr maxx on ICS

Ok I have this phone (razr maxx) because I broke my Droid Maxx a few weeks ago. My Razr Maxx was rooted when I previously had it but I broke the screen on it along time ago. Since the parts are way cheaper to fix the Razr I decided to fix it instead of the Droid Maxx. Now me being a stupid idiot I booted up the Razr Maxx and decided I should do a hard reset and factory reboot to get all the old crap off of my phone. I forgot it was rooted and now I have a phone that is stuck on ICS and I have no apps on my phone to do anything. It looks like it has been factory reset but something is wrong. I can only sometimes make phone calls, text, use the play store, or anything else with the phone. There are no apps on this phone besides the factory ones. I am lost and really need this phone to get running as it is basically my life line. What can I do?

I had a Razr Maxx in the past that was rooted. I upgraded to a Droid Maxx but it broke 2 weeks ago.

I now have started to use the same Razr Maxx that I had before as a replacement til I can upgrade in June. I forgot it was rooted and when I first started it back up decided to do a hard reset and factory recovery. Now my phone is stuck on ICS OS and I can not upgrade to Jellybean because it was rooted. During the Reset/Recovery I have lost all apps that were on the phone to control it and I am stuck now with a rooted phone with no way to do anything now.

The phone sometimes lets me text, make calls, use internet but most of the time it wont let me type on the keyboard. I can received calls but not multimedia text and regular text show up minutes to hours after they were really sent. I can not download any apps from the Play Store because of this.

Upvote 0
I tried the manual instructions but it is way over my head. it tells me to put the apk file alongside the adb. I have no clue what this means. I also downloaded about 20 different programs that it said was necessary to root my phone or to install this system on it. I am stuck and I guess I am done with this whole process. It should not be this complicated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones