• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Comprehensive Battery Guide

wow...well then...that sucks... like the first time I charged it, I let it charge for like 9 hours...but didnt the last two times...There was nothing on the forums saying to do that 3 times... :S the 2nd and 3rd time I let it charge only until it was done...I dont udnerstand how charging it past when its done will affect it...but I'm at 78% :'( what amount of time do you usually get out of your phone? if yours is like 40+ hours and mine is only 24...wtf.

Upvote 0
so what would happen if I got a new battery? could I do the whole "charge for 8 hours and discharge completely" 3 times and it would be fine?

I said at least 24 hours :p. I'm guessing it will be more like 30.

If you did it the first time, then that's good, but you have to do it a second time at least to get full effect, the third time is just to be sure.

But if you buy a new battery and follow the guide, then yes, everything should be fine.

For my phone, I get about 40 hours+ from it yes. But I charge it at 15-20% as I usually get that around the time I go to bed (so thats about 34-36 hours after I unplugg it), so I let it charge over night :)

Basically the reason you do this, is to "teach" the battery how to handle its cells. By "forcing" it to over charge, it gets an increased capacity in each cell, but this must be done within the first times of charging it, as this is its "learning period". It's important to charge it from completely empty (as it will "learn" that its "dead" and not give out power anymore when it is at that voltage) to completely "overfull" capacity (it will "learn" that it can charge so and so much before refusing to take more). The learning process has to be "repeated" for the battery to take it in fully. Eventhough HTC does state it is a 1200 mAh battery, this can vary according to how you condition it.

Even though at the second and third charge the phone "claims" it's fully charged, the battery can actually take more into it, thus it can be "overcharged" :). The phone measures the battery capacity from its voltage, but the cells have an amount of electrons they can take in, that create the current. This (the amount of electrons) is what you are "teaching" the cells, to take in more electrons. As the cells become depleted of electrons, the voltage also drops over the battery, thus the phone can measuse its capacity this way.

PS! Parts of this post have been edited into the original guide :)

Upvote 0
To be honest, if I had to worry about battery consumption all the time I'd get another phone. I charge mine overnight, then top it up at a convenient time in the afternoon, when it's dropped to around 55%. I don't switch off features. Why make such compromises when you pay top-price for a smart phone? I don't use a task killer. If I had to use a task killer I'd consider my phone to be faulty, and I'd return it.

Upvote 0
1600mAh Standard Replacement battery for HTC Desire HD

what about this one guys I found it in Ebay and thinking about it ?

1600mAh Standard Replacement battery for HTC Desire HD - eBay (item 270665597794 end time Feb-15-11 12:14:29 PST)

Waiting for your answer if u tested it

Upvote 0
To be honest, if I had to worry about battery consumption all the time I'd get another phone. I charge mine overnight, then top it up at a convenient time in the afternoon, when it's dropped to around 55%. I don't switch off features. Why make such compromises when you pay top-price for a smart phone? I don't use a task killer. If I had to use a task killer I'd consider my phone to be faulty, and I'd return it.

First off all, I don't turn off any major feature that the phone should be using. All I do is clear the RAM when I don't use the phone much for a period, by shutting down my programs. It's like what you would do on a computer. Would you run 5-6 different games at the same time, but only play 1 of them? If you couldn't do that, would you consider your computer faulty?

I know (as you are gonna say now) the phone and computer can't compare. I difer to disagree. Although they might be built differently (this I agree to), the consept is still the same, so they can compare.

And if you think just because you need to use a task killer that the phone is faulty, maybe you should rethink about using Android as your OS for the phone :).

Android is built this way for reasons I guess, however for battery life, an ATK seems to increase it. Some of us want our phone to be able to last a few days without having to charge it, just incase something should happen (say we forgot our charge cable to work/school), or suddenly there is a power shortage in your house and the evening/night, and suddenly you can't charge your phone before the next afternoon at work, missing your calls during the morning. I'm just saying ;)

I guess most of us are not SUPER worried about our phones. However, knowing a few tricks is nice :D

Upvote 0
1600mAh Standard Replacement battery for HTC Desire HD

what about this one guys I found it in Ebay and thinking about it ?

1600mAh Standard Replacement battery for HTC Desire HD - eBay (item 270665597794 end time Feb-15-11 12:14:29 PST)

Waiting for your answer if u tested it

Heard it is a fake. Its just a standard battery that they have relabelled. And kinda supported by theory.

Unless they are using another kind of cell than the original HTC batteries (Li-On battery), I can't really imagine how they would manage to get a battery capacity of 133% of the original battery from HTC. That is one h*ll of an increase if the battery is the same size (and tbh, a battery of a different size I would not buy).

So since it is eBay, I'd say it is a hoacks. Steer away from those, until HTC come with their own official battery. So far HTC have not launched any official increased capacity battery :)

PS! As the specification of the battery would be hard to test, it is hard to prove the "information" wrong, thus if you buy the battery (and use it ofc, can "freely" return something not used), and it gives no increased effect, you are unlikely to get your money back ^^

Oh. And if you use a battery not labelled by HTC (and has to be if it's offically HTC, so if this battery is labelled HTC, definately a hoacks), you are void of warranty...

And checks out, you cannot see the HTC label in the picture add, as it is on the front ^^. Either a fake or unofficial :)

Reactions: Batreky
Upvote 0
Heard it is a fake. Its just a standard battery that they have relabelled. And kinda supported by theory.

Unless they are using another kind of cell than the original HTC batteries (Li-On battery), I can't really imagine how they would manage to get a battery capacity of 133% of the original battery from HTC. That is one h*ll of an increase if the battery is the same size (and tbh, a battery of a different size I would not buy).

So since it is eBay, I'd say it is a hoacks. Steer away from those, until HTC come with their own official battery. So far HTC have not launched any official increased capacity battery :)

PS! As the specification of the battery would be hard to test, it is hard to prove the "information" wrong, thus if you buy the battery (and use it ofc, can "freely" return something not used), and it gives no increased effect, you are unlikely to get your money back ^^

Oh. And if you use a battery not labelled by HTC (and has to be if it's offically HTC, so if this battery is labelled HTC, definately a hoacks), you are void of warranty...

And checks out, you cannot see the HTC label in the picture add, as it is on the front ^^. Either a fake or unofficial :)

Thanks bud I agree with your idea and have to wait for an original one

Best Regards,

and would like to ask is Advanced Task Killer by ReChild good or not for DHD ?

Upvote 0
Thanks bud I agree with your idea and have to wait for an original one

Best Regards,

and would like to ask is Advanced Task Killer by ReChild good or not for DHD ?

The ATK by ReChild is probably one of the best ATKs you can get on the market. It don't matter if it's the DHD or any other Android phone. I'd recommend that ATK :). It is programmed well, functions good, and comes with a widget as well. Basically its easy to set up for ignoring a specific app of your preference, and it does not view system process or anything Android would want to keep up all the time. When you hit the widget, all processes it shows normally will be killed (this includes itself after killing all running apps). When you tap the icon it starts up and shows the list. When you tap the kill button, it kills all apps on the list, including itself :)

Reactions: Batreky
Upvote 0
The ATK by ReChild is probably one of the best ATKs you can get on the market. It don't matter if it's the DHD or any other Android phone. I'd recommend that ATK :). It is programmed well, functions good, and comes with a widget as well. Basically its easy to set up for ignoring a specific app of your preference, and it does not view system process or anything Android would want to keep up all the time. When you hit the widget, all processes it shows normally will be killed (this includes itself after killing all running apps). When you tap the icon it starts up and shows the list. When you tap the kill button, it kills all apps on the list, including itself :)

I understood now SO I must wait for another Version Fix this problem by Option

Best Regards,

Upvote 0
Just got my HD at the weekend, and pretty sure I left it to charge overnight on Saturday night, used it Sunday but didn't let it die. Left it to charge overnight on Sunday night and again last night. So far it's telling me it's been up for 8hr 38m. Display is using 56% battery, other items about 4-6%. On the meter I've lost 2 bars but can't see percentage. Weekend it was dropping quite a bit by the evening btu not empty.

I will probably leave it to charge overnight as well but not sure if I should be letting it drain right out first and whether I have screwed the conditioning.

After reading this, I've just installed the ATK by rechild but not sure what I'm doing. So far I have just installed it. It showed a list of apps to kill which I clicked and now I can see it sat in the notification area. Apps that are ticked now is ATK, Messages, BBC, Market, Google Search, Amazon MP3, HTC Likes and Search Anywhere. I haven't even used HTC Likes or Amazon. Do I need to uninstall anything or is that it?

Upvote 0
Just got my HD at the weekend, and pretty sure I left it to charge overnight on Saturday night, used it Sunday but didn't let it die. Left it to charge overnight on Sunday night and again last night. So far it's telling me it's been up for 8hr 38m. Display is using 56% battery, other items about 4-6%. On the meter I've lost 2 bars but can't see percentage. Weekend it was dropping quite a bit by the evening btu not empty.

I will probably leave it to charge overnight as well but not sure if I should be letting it drain right out first and whether I have screwed the conditioning.

After reading this, I've just installed the ATK by rechild but not sure what I'm doing. So far I have just installed it. It showed a list of apps to kill which I clicked and now I can see it sat in the notification area. Apps that are ticked now is ATK, Messages, BBC, Market, Google Search, Amazon MP3, HTC Likes and Search Anywhere. I haven't even used HTC Likes or Amazon. Do I need to uninstall anything or is that it?

Well, I'd say you should have drained it, but probably as long as it got used a lot, I hope it should be fine still. Just keep "overcharging" it for a few times :)

Basically, you can turn off the task bar notification thing. It's just to able to switch to it fast. I suspect this might use some CPU or something. I just use a program icon on my home screen.

To take it away, just open up, hit menu, and under options you find the "notification" option, just untick it.

Basically, the HTC likes and Amazon are stock apps that cannot be uninstalled unless you root the phone. But just kill them, and you don't need to start them up again :).

Basically once in a while, start the ATK by clicking the icon on the home screen, and then hit the big top button with "kill" in it. This will kill all processes in the list, including itself.

But if you have anything you want to keep running no matter what, just tap and hold on that app in the list, then you get a pop up, and you chose "ignore". Then that app will not show on the ATK any more.

As for battery, I have downloaded the free version of "Battery Indicator" by Darshan Computing, LLC. This will install a small icon in your task bar showing the percentage (top bar in home screen), but nothing else. If you actually try to open the app, it will just show "made by bla bla bla , plz upgrade". If you accidentally start it, just hit the back button, or if the icon is gone, start it by clicking the app in "all apps", then just hit back again, and it should be up.

This is the only program I have added to my ATK :D

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
ok just installed that I see I'm on 70% after 9 hours (it just dropped a bar since last post). Good?

Should I let it drain right down tonight then and not charge it?

I'd let it drain, if I could (unless you need the phone fully charged tomorrow for work or something).

But from your numbers there, I'd say with usage (sounds like from your other post, that you have played a bit around with facebook app and etc.) that isn't bad at all.

It isn't superb, but that means your phone will last for almost 30 hours I'd say with your current use :). That's not bad at all :D

Upvote 0
Comparing it really to my old Nokia 5800 and work iPhone 3G. Nokia used to be 2 days, iPhone struggles to make a day. If I'm on site emailing back to office, barely lasts half a day.

Appreciate that smartphones nowadays do use more and charging is quick, just that I'm going away the weekend and normally I wouldn't bother taking charger for my Nokia whereas with this one, think I'll have too. Especially as being in London I can see me using mobile data a bit.

Just want to make sure I'm getting the best out of it reallly

Upvote 0
ok, well last night I discharged the battery fully (used it up playing games, listening to music and texting...and it shut off. So I charged it over night, and it seems worse than before...I havent really even used it and its already at 93%...its been 1 1/2 hours off the charger, and my battery indicator is telling me I should only get 8 hours and 53 minutes on a charge... and things were looking up because it actually sat at 100% battery... I've used my phone for maybe 10 minutes now...not even...I have my screen set at 50% brightness, but I couldn't see this draning a huge portion that quickly...

Upvote 0
Also, HTC Likes AND GMail keep opening in ATK...I have my goole account set to not syncing AT ALL....wtf?

Well, 50% brightness on display, is over double of what my setting is. So that can quickly drain quite a bit, if the screen is on for quite a duration, say 5-10 min.

I don't see why your battery should be worse. So see if that doesn't change after a little usage.

As for HTC likes and Gmail, they start up with the phone on a reboot. Eventhough your gmail is not set to sync, it still is an app that can open. HTC likes can also start up with other HTC stock apps I have noticed. It's just to kill them like usual ^^ :)

As for the screen on-time, I'm clueless. Maybe a bug? Try rebooting your phone fully (aka. Restart)

Upvote 0
Well, 50% brightness on display, is over double of what my setting is. So that can quickly drain quite a bit, if the screen is on for quite a duration, say 5-10 min.

I don't see why your battery should be worse. So see if that doesn't change after a little usage.

As for HTC likes and Gmail, they start up with the phone on a reboot. Eventhough your gmail is not set to sync, it still is an app that can open. HTC likes can also start up with other HTC stock apps I have noticed. It's just to kill them like usual ^^ :)

As for the screen on-time, I'm clueless. Maybe a bug? Try rebooting your phone fully (aka. Restart)

but as soon as I kill HTC Likes...it reopens...and holy man! you have your screen at 25%?!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones