• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Confused about the rom flashed...

viny2cool

Android Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2010
So I had cog2.3be and i took a back up using rom manager. Than i flashed it to stock, using odin...and flashed perception build 5.

I restored my data using rom manager backup file i had in cog2.3be
my about phone section says

Firmware:2.2
Baseband: 190000UGJK3
Kernel: 2.6.32.9 SetiroNKernel_128_ver#142
Buildnumber: congition.v2..3b6

so i am confused what rom my phone is using. is it still perception or i am flashed back to cog2.3be?

Any rom posted can have many parts, the build (the system, graphics and tweaks), the kernel (coding for main system), the modem (how the phone communicates to the outside world) and maybe even a lag fix. When you flash a rom or install from zip using Rom Manager, it installs everything that is included in the Rom, which may or may not include a kernel, modem and/or lag fix. The one click Odin restore for example installs the build, kernel and modem that the phone came with.

The issue is when Rom Manager does a rom backup, it only creates the backup of the build, it does not create a backup of the kernel, modem or lag fix. So if you have a backup of your stock JH7. Then install, say Cog 3b6, which includes everything and replaces what was on the phone, you no longer have the same modem, kernel or lag fix as the stock rom. Well say you are not too happy with cog so you disable voodoo (make sure you always disable a lag fix when flashing) and restore your old JH7 backup, it may crash, or do woth wierd things. The reason, the modem and kernel no longer match the setup required by JH7 build.

So in your case, you have the modem and kernel from P5, but the build from Cog. Best option, flash a new/clean version of cog (if you want cog), so you have the correct everything for your backup then restore the cog backup. BTY if you did not disable the lag fix when you created the backup, chances are the backup will never restore correctly, no matter what you do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones