• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confusion about which passswords to use?

flycaster1

Lurker
Aug 19, 2018
I have Thunderbird-latest version (on my PC and using Provider addon) sync'd with Outlook (on my A13 5G). I have two email accounts.Just now, when trying to reply or send an email from the phone, I'm being prompted to sign in. Also, I'm being asked to fill-in my PW for my IMAP and SMTP. I have used the PW that I have within Thunderbird for IMAP/SMTP and get error to try again. Prior to this, things seemed to be working as they should. I am now quite confused as to which PWs are wanted? I have tried my PW for IMAP/SMTP that are
listed within Thunderbird on the PC, but that isn't working. BTW, what I haven't tried is the PW used for my Google acct.

EDIT: Now all of a sudden one of the accts works, but the other one still doesn't. I am using the IMAP/SMTP PWs taken from TB.

Just to clarify some misconceptions you have about email works, you need to stop assuming Thunderbird is managing and maintaining your Outlook email service. Your email account actually resides in Microsoft's online servers, that's what actually does all the work to manage and maintain your Outlook account. (or accounts as you didn't specify if both email accounts are with Outlook, or with Outlook and a different email service like Gmail or Yahoo Mail or whichever.) Anyway, it's always going to be an online email server that's the source, and any email app (mobile device) or email program (desktop, laptop) is the on the user end. A typical server to client(s) arrangement.
With two separate email accounts, you have an email address name and its password, and a second email address and its password. There are no additional, individual passwords for POP/IMAP nor SMTP. Again, just one email address and its password and a second email password and its password.
POP and IMAP are two protocols that relate to how your emails are stored in those online servers, or in a rough analogy tied to incoming emails that you receive. SMTP is a different type of protocol and applies to outgoing emails that you send out.
But these are background processes that you don't directly interact with, in order to have both email accounts in your email app it's going to be a matter where you need to set up one email account using its email address and its password, then add the second email address using its email address and its password.
Which email app are you using? The default email app on your Galaxy A13? The Gmail app? The Outlook app? Bluemail app?

Upvote 0
You are so right in that I didn't understand how the email works between TB and Outlook on the android; and, of course, I do appreciate the time you took to educate me; although I have to admit that I am finding this stuff still a bit confusing. As for which email app I'm using on the phone, it is the Outlook that came with the A13. So, as I think I understand what's happening, the next time I get the error message to enter the PW (sign-in), I will go to the PW for my Microsoft acct???

Upvote 0
You previously stated you use two email accounts. Each email account will have its own unique email address, so just as an example one might be similar to user123@outlook.com and the other user456@outlook.com. Each email address is what you use as the main identifier for each email account, and each email address has its own password. (... well you could use the same password for both but that's just not a practice. Not good.) You use one of those two passwords depending on which email account you're using at the time.
Don't use your Microsoft account password, that's separate from your Outlook email accounts.

Did someone else set up your email on your computer? Perhaps you might be better off having them do the same on your phone. Most modern email apps are pretty sophisticated now and the only items you usually need to do is provide an email address and its password and the app will automatically configure and set up your account for you. Custom configuration involving things like POP/IMAP and SMTP ports are typically only required when you're trying to set up something like a private email service (i.e. your workplace manages its own email server). Otherwise, you've been micromanaging things way too much, Outlook is a very popular email service with a long (if convoluted) history so the auto-detection done by current email apps is pretty seamless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
OK, no MS PW. Each of my email accts have unique addresses, and each have a different PW. Both PWs and addresses are the same on the phone and on the PC. Originally, I did the setting up on the phone (sync'g Outlook and TB) and it worked. I don't remember how I did it, but I think it was rather automatic. So, if I get what you are saying, when I'm prompted to sign-in, I simply use the PW associated with the presently active acct?

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones