Connect USB flash drive?

1. teb100

teb100 New Member

Anyone know if I can connect a USB flash drive? Would be handy extra storage...

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

You mean connect it to the phone? Sorry no, the Android OS (and underlying VM) would have to support "host mode" for the USB port, which it doesn't AFAIK. It's possible though, there's no hardware reason why it shouldn't.
    abed aljaleel likes this.
  3. hudson

hudson New Member

I would also be interested in this capability, not really as extra storage (would be awkward for me to have a USB drive hanging off my phone all the time) but to exchange files. I know there are many other ways to pass around a file, but sometimes USB drives are used to pass around files and it would be convenient to be able to take it onto my phone without having to go through a computer.

Also, I wonder if this might be more possible on my HTC Hero since that already plays "host" to the removable micro-sd card...

Regards,
    Hudson
  4. Plymouthbiker

Plymouthbiker Active Member

what a great idea.... could an app be made for this???
  5. hudson

hudson New Member

6. spidremann

spidremann Member

7. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

I realize that this is becoming a dead thread, but I was doing some pondering on this and came up with a possible solution.

Like stated above, the android OS currently does not have any USB host drivers... What if a 3rd party made some drivers for a USB host controller? I wouldn't think it would be too, too complicated... I have programmed in assembly before and in hall honesty, driver programming is about as smooth sailing as it gets... you don't have to take into account user-friendliness and stupidity like you would in normal apps.

Perhaps I will make this a project of mine...
  8. Goejseren

Goejseren New Member

9. Waldo?

Waldo? Member

I was thinking along the same ideas.. It would be nice to have a flash drive that had the rooting notes, a folder to save current OS, and a folder that held different versions of Android OS so you could bounce from phone to phone and root and UN-root on the fly. As well as maybe a way to boost WIFI reception with a Flash Stick that was a WIFI antenna? To allow for reception farther away from the source. If anyone runs with this idea, I dont want cash for giving you the idea, but I would love some Kudo's...LOL
  10. Bubsmash

Bubsmash Active Member

What I was thinking is if we can get a USB flash drive to work on our phones it does not have to stop there. To be honest I would much rather have my phone be able to use a printer via usb a 1Terra HDD Thumb drives ect instead of having to haul my darn laptop everywhere. I at times gotta share a room with other guys when I am out in camp jobs at times.
    It would just make my life a whole lot easier with less bigger bulky things I gotta haul around. I have done a few smaller programs that were very basic to do a few things running checks on a few servers I was doing admin work on. I would be very interested to know if any of you want to start something up.
  11. bacs

bacs Member

Take a look at the HTC Sensation 4G!