• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

consequences of tethering

I have the 4G unlimited plan for metro pcs on Alcatel One Touch Fierce phone.

I've been wondering how to tether unrooted (I hear PDAnet is a good app for that) since I wasn't aware I could not add tethering to my plan since I was unlimited. And I keep finding this one post that says how your service will get cut off and your phone will be blacklisted if you tether using an app. I only want to tether to my Wii U to download this Art Academy game. Otherwise I have utorrent on my phone so I can transfer files from my phone to my computer so I dont plan on using the tethering for my computer much. What are the precise repercussions when you tether using an app? Can I bypass some check? Is there anyone who they themselves have had their service cut off and phone blocked from ever reconnecting to metro pcs network?

If you use a VPN service, you never have to worry about changing user agent on any device tethered to your phone.

I use a VPN that has servers in several countries, websites like netflix, bbc, hulu, facebook have location restrictions. VPNs says F your government or content provider restrictions. Also if you like downloading illegal content VPNs mask your IP address. Usually 1 IP address is use for multiple users making it harder for the feds to track you down. If you looking to tether once in a while there are plenty of free vpn providers just use google, but if you downloading illegal content make sure the vpn provider doesn't keep user logs and is base in a country with lose laws. EU has a Data Retention Directive law that requires all ISPs and communications providers to keep user data for at least 12 months the US doesn't have these laws.

Upvote 0
If you use a VPN service, you never have to worry about changing user agent on any device tethered to your phone.

I use a VPN that has servers in several countries, websites like netflix, bbc, hulu, facebook have location restrictions. VPNs says F your government or content provider restrictions. Also if you like downloading illegal content VPNs mask your IP address. Usually 1 IP address is use for multiple users making it harder for the feds to track you down. If you looking to tether once in a while there are plenty of free vpn providers just use google, but if you downloading illegal content make sure the vpn provider doesn't keep user logs and is base in a country with lose laws. EU has a Data Retention Directive law that requires all ISPs and communications providers to keep user data for at least 12 months the US doesn't have these laws.

Reminds me of TOR

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones