• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Conservatism.....to me.

TheBeardedMann

May 7, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
First off:
Conservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, it's Wikipedia, but you get an idea of what groups of persons believe Conservatism means.
Here's what it means to me:
Well, first off, there is a lot to Conservatism, just like there is a lot of genres of Rock n' Roll. I tend to be on the Libertarian Conservatism side of things. Personal Freedom is a big part. Like drugs. Some should be legal, well one, yup, marijuana. Other than that, illegal, that's where I draw the line and don't become an Anarchist Libertarian. I draw the line, just a little further out than most people. Same thing with abortion. No. I give the child their rights to live. And death penalty, that's a no to me which is against most other Conservatives.
But as far as the "Big Two" issues, Taxes and Government, I believe we need a strong and stable government with the ability to raise taxes. Now, the government should function like a business though in some aspects such as fiscal responsibility. If you can't afford to pay for something, you have to wait. You can't do whatever you please, whether that's build a huge and ridiculous military with extreme offensive weapons or support families on welfare for an infinite amount of time. Government should also have a budget and it should not change if there is a surplus of revenue coming in. Government doesn't have to spend every penny. But they do, especially local governments. They max their budgets and spend to the last dime. It's ridiculous. And there should be a flat tax for individuals and for businesses. Very hard to adopt, but I believe that is fair and equal.
With regards to free trade, that truly is a tough one, free trade isn't possible with everyone. I personally believe in free trade within a state, as states were designed to set up their own constitution and not necessarily stand on their own, but be their own state with their own policies and practices. States should set their tax rate for trade with other states, but the Feds should set a fixed trade rate with all other countries regardless of product.
Back to Personal Freedom. Equal Opportunity Employers, Affirmative Action, etc are killing us. You should be hired based on what you can bring to the employer. If you don't offer anything beneficial, you don't get hired. And it continues once you are hired. If you aren't beneficial, you get fired. Your union shouldn't protect you just because you are you. This is very prevalent with teachers. If there aren't enough black firefighters that passed the test, that means nothing. The people that passed are the people that passed, don't bring race into it. Your skin color is not part of your resume.
Nationalism. It's a bad word to some. But it doesn't have to be. If you live here in America, you are an American. You should be proud. You are not Mexican-American, or African-American, or Italian-American....unless you are an immigrant and that country you were born in supported and helped you to become the person you are but you later chose to come to America. If your parents came here, you are American, your parents are Whatever-American. That's how I feel. It's not a racist thing, it's a be proud of America thing. America is giving you the opportunity.
Ok, that's about it for now. That actually was a bit of rambling, but it is a snapshot of what my Conservatism view is. I didn't proofread it either, sorry for any errors.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
That's a good write-up and explanation of several applications of the conservative mindset, beardedmann. I agree with most of it, but not all.

I have never been able to apply a conservative philosophy, or a liberal one, to all issues across the board; I find myself with no "default" mindset, and can get quite choosy about which way to go on the various issues, thus my disagreement with some of what you're saying in your well thought out post there.

If you hear me talk about capital punishment or immigration, you'll hear a conservative. If you hear me talk about a woman's right to choose what to do with the contents of her body (embryo, fetus) or gay rights, you'll hear a liberal.

etc.. ;)

Upvote 0
Not really related, but this is a pet peeve of mine:

Why should someone be proud to have been born in a country? I find it intriguing...

I'm proud of my country when it performs humanitarian services for its citizens and for the citizens of other countries, or when its occupants win Nobel prizes, or when the country excels in some significant area.

Upvote 0
Why should someone not be proud to be born in a country?

My dictionary defines the adjective 'proud' as the following:
"feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated"

I wouldn't exactly call it a great achievement to have been born in a specific country...

I'm proud of my country when it performs humanitarian services for its citizens and for the citizens of other countries, or when its occupants win Nobel prizes, or when the country excels in some significant area.

That is fine, it's just people who say they are "proud to be x" for no other reason than they are of that country annoy me.

Upvote 0
You should be proud to be an American. We are a country of greatness in all aspects of life. That is why I am proud, and that's why I think that if you are born here, you should feel blessed and proud to live here as well. I am not going to go into detail of why though, that is pointless.
And your "proud to be x" statement is exactly what Mexican-Americans do.....I know that's gonna make a lot people mad that I said that.

Upvote 0
I dont feel much pride about being Irish
But I do feel pride about being European for some reason, despite the fact we fecked and continue to feck up the world, consume 25% of the worlds resources with 6% of its population, ship our toxic waste to Africa, supply arms to dictators, underpay for drugs apparently, mooch of the US for military aid, make crap movies, are responsible for big brother...
Oh and dont get me started on the POS mobile OS we brought into this world :eek:

Upvote 0
You should be proud to be an American. We are a country of greatness in all aspects of life. That is why I am proud, and that's why I think that if you are born here, you should feel blessed and proud to live here as well. I am not going to go into detail of why though, that is pointless.
And your "proud to be x" statement is exactly what Mexican-Americans do.....I know that's gonna make a lot people mad that I said that.

We were a country of greatness in some aspects of life, but not so much anymore. We've pretty much been done in by corporate and personal greed. There aren't too many areas in which we are No. ! anymore. We don't even have a real manned space program anymore, but we do have tens of millions of people who think man and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

I agree!

We live in a truly great country that provides us all with opportunity seldom seen elsewhere in the world.

Sadly, whenever you say that, some people think you are likely to dislike other countries. At least that is the feeling I get. It is too bad we can't be free to say we are happy that we are not gay or pleased that we are white without making some folks upset.

As if saying you are proud to be white is in some way bashing those folks that are black or blue or green or brown or yellow.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones