• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Considering a tablet? Advice.

ZingXao

Mar 11, 2011
Hey there.

Made a previous thread regarding tablets but am a little unsure on what to get between an Android Tablet or an iPad.

My reasons for wanting a tablet are that I want a portable device where I can watch movies, play music, play the occasional game, word process (notes in university), and then use Photoshop Touch, and the other Adobe apps. I do Advertising in university, so in my opinion, those apps would be very beneficial to me, and useful companions to Photoshop and Illustrator on my MacBook Pro.

Also, I feel it makes sense to have a tablet for when travelling, such as on the train, or short stays out of town, and I can use it as a portable, digital portfolio for my graphic work.

I have an Android phone, and I love the OS. I also love iOS and OSX after having iPod's, and my Mac.

Now the thing that put's me off getting an Android tablet is the fact after watching many videos, Honeycomb seems quite laggy, and the Adobe Apps seem laggy, also. On the iPad it's very smooth, and I've see this first hand since my friend has one. The thing that makes me want an Android tablet is that they're cheaper and have less hardware and software (flash etc.) limitations. Then again, the App Store seems a lot more commercial than the Play Store, which I find appealing.

So yeah. What do you think I should do? iPad or Android? How well does PS Touch run on Android?

Personally I'd go for an Android; but not because of cost, as I haven't seen budget hardware that could compare to the iPad, and comparable hardware doesn't cost that much less than Apple's.

I'd go for a Samsung of he current crop, or hold out until the summer to see if Google do a Nexus Tablet, or Samsung deliver the N8000

Upvote 0
Is there an Android tablet comparable to the new iPad for a similar price, or should I just stick with Apple since I have a Mac?...
Samsung have a range that compete on different levels.

Probably the straightest fight would be with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which is just a little less expensive than the iPad.

But depending on your needs you might like the 8.9", which in wifi/3G guise has standard phone functionality too, which the iPad can't match.

Just around the corner(but this IS Sams u n g we're talking about!) is the GT10.1Note and GT2 10.1, both bringing a little more to the party.

Upvote 0
I have an iPad 2, a Kindle Fire, and (at work) a Samsung Tab 10.1. I'm a long time Nexus phone user and Android programmer. I use both the iPad and the Fire all the time.

My advice? Get an iPad. It's the best.

I've been unimpressed with the Galaxy Tabs, especially without ICS. The Transformer Prime is on a different level.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones