Contacts Storage > 27MB!!Support

1. veryjiggy

veryjiggy Active Member

I just observed that my 'Contacts Storage' app/folder is more than 27MB in size!! I have google and facebook contacts syncd to my phone, but I refuse to believe I have so many contacts to warrant 27MB of space usage in the phone! Because of this, I have been able to install only a limited number of apps. :(
    Is there any way to reduce the size of this folder? Or to selectively delete some of them (without deleting them from my 'Google Contacts' webpage)?!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Active Member

mine is not google sync and only 700kb.
  3. 1981

1981 Well-Known Member

where do i find out the size of my contacts storage???
  4. veryjiggy

veryjiggy Active Member

Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Contact Storage
    HelenLR likes this.
  5. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

mine google and facebook synced and is 3.49mb
  6. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member

564KB for mine. I sync with Google. There have been some other apps that have done this, where they just keep taking up more and more space. I think the only way people have resolved it was to reset the phone to factory defaults.
  7. EmperorKabir

EmperorKabir Well-Known Member

the thing is, 27meg in today's money is not all that much. It's just the farce of 2.1 having no apps2sd that makes us think that 27meg is a lot given the pathetic internal storage we currently suffer.

saying that, 27meg is a fair bit in itself for what should maybe just be text. Perhaps you have photos etc attached?
  8. paul5f

paul5f Well-Known Member

mines 528kb for around 80 contacts (approx 10 have photos) that only sync with outlook.
  9. veryjiggy

veryjiggy Active Member

Mmm.. it seems I have some 720 contacts on google and 365 on facebook. facebook i can still imagine, but i guess in google, google contacts makes any and every person a 'contact' who i have ever sent even a single mail to. it is quite a pain tbh. : (((
  10. myname

myname Well-Known Member

oO I don't have the "Contact Storage " application :(
  11. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

186 google contacts, and mine is 466kb
  12. stueyboy

stueyboy Well-Known Member

I've got over 3000 contacts combined on google and facebook and it is taking up 15Mb which I am prepared to take for the convenience of having them all there. I did use an outlook app called touchdown and it allows you to use the SD card for contact storage but there were other things about it I didn't like, so stopped using it.
  13. veryjiggy

veryjiggy Active Member

3000 contacts and just 15MB??!! I now have some 700 contacts and it is taking up 14MB. Spent most of my evening clearing up my google contacts list, tranferring numbers, etc. :(
    I think the syncing of pics would take up additional MBs. Not sure though.
  14. sckc23

sckc23 Active Member

mine is 11mb from 600 contacts mostly facebook. seems like what takes up most spaces is the syncing of profile pictures since ppl with only google sync has contact storage < 1mb.
  15. balders

balders Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, how many of those 600 and 3000 contacts have you talked to in the past year?
  16. veryjiggy

veryjiggy Active Member

So thats the thing right. Google just adds anyone you send an email to as a contact. And there is no way of 'selectively syncing' your google contacts. So all contacts which are listed as google contacts get synced automatically. Even addresses like 'subscriptions at economist dot com'.
  17. balders

balders Well-Known Member

Thats odd mine doesn't seem to do that. My contacts are synced to my address book on my mac and they don't change.
  18. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

When I go people, menu, view and enable show gmail auto contacts it doesnt show them. It could be I haven't emailed anyone new since having a clear out. Or could it be it doesn't sync them if they're not enabled in the view?
  19. veryjiggy

veryjiggy Active Member

I actually am not sure what the 'show auto contacts' thing means in the Desire. But the number of gmail contacts that are synced can be seen on the same screen. And then you can go to accounts and sync section of settings to see whether you have auto sync on or off for gmail.
  20. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Auto contacts are the contacts gmail creates when you email a new emai address. Mine shows 79 google contacts sync'd. Checking online, I do have 79 contacts and that IS including auto contacts. Shame.
  21. Ian80

Ian80 Active Member

I've got about 500 contacts, most from facebook and I'm using 13mb. I'm not that bothered, although I am very eager to get apps2sd now :)
  22. doad13

doad13 Well-Known Member

I Came across this last week, and noticed that the majority of my contacts are the 500+ from facebook(all with photos)

However i noticed that my facebook app also takes up space am guessing for that same reason ie. replicated contacts, this isnt a huge problem as i realise that under 30mb is still rather small its just with the limited space on the phone at the moment its a real pain.

[​IMG]

Is there a way to limit facebook adding contacts, for example the contacts off facebook that i text/call/email are all in my people app as i transferred them from my old phone. These are the only people from facebook that i want on my contacts the rest i speak to via facebook but no need for them in my phone
  23. ccutlassz

ccutlassz New Member

I somewhat have an indirect solution to your problem.. I posted a similar question to this over at the EVO 4g forum...

The reason why your contact storage is reaching so high is because of GOOGLE's (Not facebook, outlook, etc) syncing! I found out some of my contacts were duplicated cuz Google somehow synced Contacts that were already saved on my phone from GM AIL... Some contacts had up to 6 duplicates!

Here is what I did.. I'm sure there is a quicker and easier process but this worked for me...
    1. First TURN OFF SYNCING for GOOGLE.
    2. Check to see if a contact is duplicated (chances are they are). Delete every duplicate. YES you are going to have to do this manually on your phone.. I tried doing it on the computer but that didn't work someway.
    3. Go to your Gmail.com account via PC. and delete every duplicate there is as well..

Mine reached 27 just like you and I didn't even have an extraordinary amount of contacts.. Turns out, my phone would sync from Google without me knowing. Chances are the same is happening to you..

Now my Contact storage is 6.54 with Facebook (including pics) and Google storage. I'm hesitant to turn syncing on for Google.. I know I'll have to eventually.
    Good luck.
  24. doad13

doad13 Well-Known Member

Strange i only have 3 contacts on my googlemail account so how would they create 9mb? I have 500+ on facebook and then 100 or so on hotmail.
  25. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

I had seen this wallpaper (Ocean Waves) at 4:27 into the video which is on the Samsung Galaxy S and i really like the look of it, but cant seem to find it on the market for some reason.

Does anyone have this on there Desire at all, and does anyone know where i can get this wallpaper with not being able to find it on the market??

Any info would be appreciated guys.