• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts Storage size increasing everyday?!

ccutlassz

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
I had my HTC EVO 4g for a week now and lovin it..
I always make sure I have a sufficient enough of space on my my phone's memory.. It frustrates me knowing that the application with the most database size is the contacts storage! (13.54mb ) What really bothers me, it gradually increases by the day.. When I first got the phone it was 9mb.. and as the we days go by it would increase. I don't even add any new contacts.
What's the root of the problem?! Should i disable synching facebook / gmail? Thanks in advance.

Well, you start with 358mb free. But I have about 50 apps already, and I still have over 300mb free. You'll be fine. Remember, you have and 8gb SD card in there for lots of other stuff. I don't think memory will prove to be a problem. As far as size increasing, I'm not sure, but keep an eye on it, and maybe worry when you have 50mb left.

Reactions: ccutlassz
Upvote 0
I had my HTC EVO 4g for a week now and lovin it..
I always make sure I have a sufficient enough of space on my my phone's memory.. It frustrates me knowing that the application with the most database size is the contacts storage! (13.54mb ) What really bothers me, it gradually increases by the day.. When I first got the phone it was 9mb.. and as the we days go by it would increase. I don't even add any new contacts.
What's the root of the problem?! Should i disable synching facebook / gmail? Thanks in advance.

I can understand your concern but keep in mind the "people" err contact list in your phone is tracking everything with that contact so I assume thats what is increasing the memory. You set auto delete options for old sms or the max amount of messages in a conversation to help it out. Go to someone you talk or txt all the time in your contacts and check out each icon in the bottom row and you should see interactions with that person. That would may be raising the memory of contacts.

Reactions: ccutlassz
Upvote 0
Well, you start with 358mb free. But I have about 50 apps already, and I still have over 300mb free. You'll be fine. Remember, you have and 8gb SD card in there for lots of other stuff. I don't think memory will prove to be a problem. As far as size increasing, I'm not sure, but keep an eye on it, and maybe worry when you have 50mb left.

How do you choose to download stuff to the SD card instead of the internal memory?? Can contacts be saved to the card instead the the memory?? Can apps?

Upvote 0
If you use a Google account, please go to http://contacts.google.com and verify your limited list of contacts is not getting duplicated.

My wife's 125 contacts each had about 26 entries in the 'All Contacts' label. On her phone, this represented more than 100MB of internal storage and a grand total of >25000 (no typo there. 25K) contacts that apparently the phone was synchronizing or trying to synchronize.

What I did:

On the computer (mostly because her phone was so slow)
- Go to contacts.google.com and export the 125 contacts to a .csv file
- Deleted all the duplicate contacts (the limit seem to be 9999 at one time using 'Select All')
- Imported the 125 contacts from the file

On the phone
- Followed people's suggestion to do a 'Clear Data' on the 'Contacts Storage' application
- Then allowed the phone to sync the contacts with the gmail account -once
- Disabled the sync function with her google account

This will hopefully work for her and, if you've read this, hopefully will work for you too.

Here's one additional reference. An awesome post on how to manage google contacts. The Complete Guide to Fixing Google Contacts

Reactions: ChristineClack
Upvote 0
Forget daily, mine was multiplying while I was clearing contacts storage! My solution took a lot of effort, and was allowed because I was more concerned with the integrity of my companionlink database than I was with the google database.

I use companionlink as I'm a heavy business user with government clients needing access to my Outlook files much more than to the insecure cloud storage that came pre-loaded on my HTC EVO Shift 4g. I love, love, love this phone, so it was worth the time, effort, and frustration to come up with this solution.

1st, I cleared contacts storage. When that didn't stay cleared, I turned off the sync to google contacts. When it synced again after a restart, I emptied my google contacts online so there was nothing left to sync.

Still ended up with tons of entries in contacts, so I stopped syncing to facebook and twitter. Again, not enough for the same reason, so I deleted the all of the apps for facebook and twitter and set them up as bookmarks so I'd still have access, but eliminating the bugginess of contacts storage.

It finally seems to be under control :) Now I only enter contacts in my phone database that I want to be able to 'star' or recognize when they call (features not available with companionlink). But i add them as phone contacts, not google, and I never, ever sync them to anything!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones