Contemplating EVO Root for WiFi Tethering and Complete/Ghost Back Up

Last Updated:

1. jmbot4371

jmbot4371 New Member This Topic's Starter

I have been contemplating rooting my Evo for some time for the reasons mentioned in the title. I have read rave reviews for WiFi tethering all over this forum and will definitely take advantage of it. Secondly, I have heard that when the Evo is rooted you can create back up, with Nandroid or Titanium, and it is a ghost/clone of the entire phone (settings, apps, app data/pointers, etc.). I have had to replace my phone a few times now for factory defects and it has caused tremendous pain to lose some of the app data that I had stockpiled in the 3 months since my last replacement. In the event of having to replace my phone again after rooting it, would I just have to root the new Evo and flash the last back up and ROM (stock or not) that I was using?

Advertisement
  2. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

If you want to restore a backup from one phone to another via nandroid you have to change the serial number to your new phone.

If anything you can use My Backup from the market to back up your things before you root, there's all kinds of options.

3. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

if you use clockwork recovery you dont have to change any serial numbers or anything

jmbot4371 likes this.