Contract loophole?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gmr2048, Sep 26, 2010.

1. gmr2048

gmr2048 Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Network admin
    DC
    Greetings all. I'm Gary. I'm new around here. Been lurkin' for a bit. My SF is due to arrive from Amazon Wireless tomorrow. I've got a theoretical question I'd like some thoughts on...if you can follow my though process :)

I bought my new phone for $0.01 (w/ 2-year contract) from Amazon Wireless. They require you to keep your phone activated for 6 months, else you incur an early termination fee (ETF) from Amazon (in addition to VZW's fees).

Wirefly.com has the SF for $10 (w/ 2-year contract) with (apparently) no add-on ETFs (only the standard VZW ETFs).

Seeing as how VZW announced they were going to tiered data prices in the next few months, that probably means a way out of a contract without paying VZW ETFs (due to the provider changing the contract).

However, if I stick with the Amazon phone, I won't be able to get out of my contract when the opportunity arises (due to being locked into the Amazon-specific contract). If I send the Amazon phone back, and buy one from Wirefly, I should theoretically be able to cancel my contract and get away with a SF for $10 free-and-clear. I can then (hopefully? Anybody know for sure?) sign up for a VZW month-to-month plan and keep it only as long as I want to.

So, my question is: Does that seem like too much hassle for the payoff? Or would being contract-free with a new $500 phone be worth it?

-gary

Advertisement
  2. PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    No because current users will be grandfathered into the existing unlimited data plans and won't be automatically switched to tiered data.

3. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, this pretty much makes it so you can't use the tiered data plan changes as a way out. Verizon actually thought something through, haha, for better or worse...

Frankly, though, as much as I love Amazon and order from them on a weekly basis, I feel weird buying cell phones from them when there are added clauses like that.

4. woodyt74

woodyt74 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    because the Wirefly SF requires a 2 year contract. Therefore, you couldn't sign up that SF for a month-to-month because it will be under an existing contract. The other posters answered the other part of your post.