Cooling (OC)

Last Updated:

1. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been trying to think of ways to cool the eris without adding to the size of it. Lately, when I open the battery cover I smell what resembles burning plastic. Also, though I'm only clocked at 748, my phone occasionally stutters. This stuttering lasts up the 30 seconds.

One idea that I've come up with is to cut a section of a pop can, and place it between the battery and the cover. For some reason HT thought it was a good idea to make both surfaces a non-smooth plastic. Been really busy lately, haven't got around to trying it yet.

Another idea is to replace part of the battery cover with a plate of copper. Would look awesome, work awesome, and get weird looks next time you visit Verizon. Would also be a bit tough to make it look professional.

The cooling fan is another option...

Seriously though, any ideas?

I don't know if my issues are heat related. Nonetheless, it's good to cool the thing to protect the phone and the battery. And I get annoyed at how hot it gets.

Advertisement
  2. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

Dont know why you would get stutters. I am OC'd at 806 and have been for a few weeks and my phone never over heats. Only time it gets hot is when I am charging the phone.

3. lewa

Really? Well I'm quite the gameboid user.

And whenever I set it above 800, my phone shuts down. Instantly. I have to start it up again and change it back before it resets.

4. droidkevlar

Only heavy stuff I do on my phone is wifi, BT and Droidlive (streaming radio) and it runs so damn smooth. Ive never used gameboid, so I cannot comment on those effects. Maybe move your OC to 710 as I see that being the sweet spot for most users. Being at 806 is rare from what I have read on the forum. Most ppl get endless boot on that high. But I actually have gotten better battery life and performance.

PS. Didnt mean to high jack your thread.

5. lewa

I see. When I was at 710 it was more stable, just wanted better speed I suppose...
    Yeah you aren't doing any really heavy, so 806 might work for you. Personally, my phone is always around 38-42 Celsius (despite my efforts to manually cool it) when I'm constantly using it.

I'm curious what people say about cooling. I'm sure no one has done anything hardware-wise yet...I imagine you guys do what I do and just cool the phone with your hand/leg...

No problem, I appreciate your feedback.

6. droidkevlar

Now this is just a shot in the dark, but if you doing heavy stuff on it and its always that hot, what about those ice packs that you use for your lunchs that dont sweat. May not look that nice on it but damn be sure it should keep it cool enough for you. :)

7. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

I would do copper with two diagonal slits like cut in the back. Ill whip up a picture tomorrow...it s going to look sick!

8. BlueDC2

This is really sloppy, and I used a crappy copper sheet background. MS paint ftl. Anyway, something like this where the copper covers the whole battery as a heatsink, with slits in the back cover to release the heat.

[​IMG]

Again, very sloppy, but you get the idea...

9. lewa

No worries, I'm a photoshop nerd and couldn't resist doing a two-minute mockup:
    [​IMG]

Like that?
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm just a tad apprehensive about hacking into my battery cover. I'm gonna first see if you can buy an eris battery cover, and how cheap.

10. BlueDC2

^same thought here, I think they might sell aftermarket back covers anyway. You can get the copper sheets at an arts and crafts store for cheap.

Edit: I told you it would look sick!!! ;)

11. BlueDC2

12. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

If you rub alcoholic hand sanitizer on your battery, (avoiding the contacts!) and let it sit for a while, the paint will come off of the battery and reveal the shiny metal finish below it, allowing better heat transfer. I know it sounds dumb, but it works. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

13. BlueDC2

I get what you're saying, sounds like a cool easy mod.

Don't wanna be 'that guy' but is there any proof of the better heat transfer? :eek:

14. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

No "proof" really, its just based on my common sense theory of non painted aluminum transferring heat better than painted aluminum. Prob not *much* of a difference, but still a difference nonetheless ;)

15. chaos0422

chaos0422 Well-Known Member

I used a penny and some heatsink compount like you would do for the xbox and it works great, plus it looks pretty cool to have a 1965 penny set into the battery cover. Ill ad pics later

16. lewa

Ha, I thought of using a penny as well.
    Would definitely like to see how it turned out.

*sigh*, motorola phones are metal...

17. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I only run hot when running Wifi Tethering. Hit 50 degrees C today, and I shut it down. The status said: overheating.

18. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Hey! I want to see pics of all these awesome ideas!

19. lewa

Wow, in the status bar?

So yeah, overheating is a problem/annoyance even for advanced users. So finding an easy, effective way to cool the eris would be great.

20. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

When I tether, I tether HEAVILY (e.g. downloading streaming movies, or other large files, while doing other things). Wired or wireless, my eris starts to get VERY HOT.

The only real solution I've found is (no joke) to
    1) take off battery cover
    2) set Eris face down (still tethering at this moment, we're not interrupting the phone's operation, just turning the screen off and putting it face down)
    3) put a soda/beer can from the fridge directly on the battery (not a sweaty one - I still haven't, even one time, had a cold beer/soda can get any moisture on my battery, at all, fwiw).

The soda can will keep me in the low 30's, and often even 20's with HEAVY phone operation (overclocked to 806mhz while on the charger - which plugged into the computer is technically "on the charger") and tethering.

It's what I do when I say 'OK - not using the phone for a while, just the computer for internet' I use PDANet, so the PDAnet SMS agent lets me text right in between. No playing with the phone required.

21. alprazolam

I will have to give that a shot because I don't want to kill my phone but there are places that I do need to tether for extended periods of time.

22. chaos0422

I built my home computer and included an extra fan for my phone to be placed on to pull heat off my penny heatsink that works pretty well

23. chaos0422

I'm working on instructions to build my penny heatsink with pics for everyone. It'll be my thanks to the android community for everyones help.

24. lewa

Awesome, looking forward to it. Must work pretty well, lol.

25. alprazolam

Full of SHIT! I want to see this! :p