• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coom Xoom Story at my Dr's Office Today

ghodzilla5150

Android Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2010
San Bernardino, CA
I went to see my Spine Surgeon today ( I have a really bad back and need a 2nd Spinal Fusion, Facet Joints this time, I take Percocet 10/325 and Hydromorphone 4mg for Pain). Any ways when I was done and leaving I over heard my Dr. talking to another Dr. about the Motorola Xoom and how he would like one to replace his laptop and the the iPad 2 was out of the question (as he has a Droid X and liked Android). As it happened I had my Xoom with me (I take it everywhere with me and showed it to him and he was VERY impressed and said this is what he was/is looking for. He asked about Google Voice (as that's important for him and I said it will be coming). I explained how Honeycomb was a new OS and needed sometime to grow and he understood and said he did not like iOS. I showed him Evernote and used it with my Stylus Pen and he said he would get one later today:)

If Dr.s start seeing an advantage of the Xoom/Honeycomb over iPad/iOS, Honeycomb will make a big splash. I also showed his nurse Toy Story 3 and Avatar (Blu-Ray) and she was sold as well.

'The Dr. he was talking to asked me if I had Rooted yet ( he obviously knows what's going on and I said No as I had not seen any ROM's worth Rooting for yet) and that the only reason for me to root so far is to Overclock to 1.5ghz. I told him that the SDK or AOSP for Honeycomb had not been released yet but when it does I will definitely Root and start Flashing ROM's/Kernel's. I showed them my Rooted HTC EVO and how I was using it as a Wireless Hotspot (in the Hospital) and they were really impressed.

Suffice it to say but if Dr's are starting to hear about the Xoom/Honeycomb it has major potential (especially in that area). I told him about the HTC Flyer and that it may be worth looking at as well as it may be more to his liking. I told him it was only 7" but he liked the 10" form factor and wanted to replace his laptop and use it while talking with patients:)

I disagree both the iPad and Xoom have some superiorities over one another.

Stop with the superiorities comments. I get it. I bought a Xoom. The thing rocks. But facts are facts: iPad 4.7MM units sold last quarter, Xoom somewhere north of 100k. I'm viewing our Xoom like the G1. Introduction of a beast but takes a while to gain traction.

Upvote 0
I went to see my Spine Surgeon today ( I have a really bad back and need a 2nd Spinal Fusion, Facet Joints this time, I take Percocet 10/325 and Hydromorphone 4mg for Pain). Any ways when I was done and leaving I over heard my Dr. talking to another Dr. about the Motorola Xoom and how he would like one to replace his laptop and the the iPad 2 was out of the question (as he has a Droid X and liked Android). As it happened I had my Xoom with me (I take it everywhere with me and showed it to him and he was VERY impressed and said this is what he was/is looking for. He asked about Google Voice (as that's important for him and I said it will be coming). I explained how Honeycomb was a new OS and needed sometime to grow and he understood and said he did not like iOS. I showed him Evernote and used it with my Stylus Pen and he said he would get one later today:)

sorry to hear about your back, but that's great about the Xoom story! If you don't have it, you've gotta download google body...I would think it would be a GREAT app for a doc, especially a surgeon! It's got to be one of the best apps for the HC tablets.

Unfortunately I sent my Xoom back in, for an Ipad2, and I'm glad I did, although I am watching the HS tablets closely, and when they have one that's further developed, I'll pick one up. (please, no flames) There are certainly lots of things I'm missing about the HS tablets (I have a rooted/flashed DX, and love it), but I needed a fully functioning tablet NOW for work, and the iPad 2 fits the bill.

Anyway, nice story. I'm a professional as well, and people I work with / around were always eyeballing the Xoom, though they weren't too sure what it was. Same thing now with the ipad 2, but they're familiar with it. I certainly think the Xoom will come closer to replacing a notebook, before an ipad2 does. Since I originally got my Xoom a month ago, and since I've had the ipad2 for 2 weeks, I've not even turned on my notebook!

Reactions: ghodzilla5150
Upvote 0
Stop with the superiorities comments. I get it. I bought a Xoom. The thing rocks. But facts are facts: iPad 4.7MM units sold last quarter, Xoom somewhere north of 100k. I'm viewing our Xoom like the G1. Introduction of a beast but takes a while to gain traction.

And McDonald's lead all restaurants in sales every year. Does that mean its the best? The Xoom is superior in more areas and is really only behind in apps. The G1 was lacking in the hardware department. Not the case with the Xoom. The only similarity with the G1 is in the software department. Honeycomb is very much a 1.0 release. The similarities end there.

Upvote 0
The Xoom is superior in more areas and is really only behind in apps. The G1 was lacking in the hardware department. Not the case with the Xoom. The only similarity with the G1 is in the software department. Honeycomb is very much a 1.0 release. The similarities end there.

Come on man, no offense but no need to drink the kool-aid. I looked at my sister's evil empire tablet and its screen is blatantly clearer than my xoom when I look at fonts close up. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker but the xoom screen does have some haziness as opposed to the sharpness of the iPad 2 (and especially the iPhone 4). Also, our touchscreen definitely has lag. When I click a button, it's not instant like on the iPad. And you're telling me that you haven't noticed that going from the browser to the home screen doesn't seem to sometimes reload the launcher from scratch, therefore taking longer than we'd want? Anyway....

But you're right, my Honeycomb kicks iOS' ass. For what I do, it's better for browsing (flash works), widgets, multi-tasking (this is my favorite feature since I REGULARLY pop back and forth between running apps), etc. We just need an update, which is exactly what Android 1.5 needed back in the day. You can't even compare Froyo/Gingerbread with 1.5. That's why I'm more than comfortable waiting for the honey treats to flow in. Patience indeed.

Upvote 0
Come on man, no offense but no need to drink the kool-aid.

No offence taken but......
Why is it when someone has something good to say about the Xoom or Android period, we're drinking kool-aid? You know, people have trashed the Xoom to the point where its just not fair, but act like the ipad is perfect with no flaws. I've seen it crash/lag with my own eyes. All technology has flaws. What about the awful screen bleeding issue on the ipad 2? You can see a bunch of YouTube videos of this problem but apple seems to get a pass on any issues no matter how severe they may be. Put the ipad2 cameras on any Android tablet and watch it get crucified! But since its apple people say "duh, who wants to take pictures anyway"! I find it utterly ridiculous.

We do agree that Honeycomb needs an update. But even in its current state Honeycomb is still years ahead of ios which is really a phone os. Only apple could get away with releasing a huge iPhone and calling it a tablet. Meanwhile the Xoom gets slammed for being innovative and a true tablet experience. I don't get it.

Reactions: nycebo
Upvote 0
@rdillz, with you all the way. My point was simply that we all have Xooms so everyone here made an objective (and I say smart and against the grain) decision. Totally agree with you vis a vis the iPad...it's why 'I' didn't get one. My apologies if I came across as brusque but I just want to make sure that we keep highlighting the faults with the Xoom and Honeycomb so that Motorola and Google speed up the solutions. Be that as it may, even in its current state, it's still my favorite new piece of technology. I'm reading a heck of a lot more at home than I ever did on my PC or my DX. Just so much more accessible. :)

Upvote 0

Porsche sales < Ford sales

Not so sure what the number comparison was really about. Insert your own opine here _______. :D:D

Awesome story OP!!!!

Upvote 0
^^^ my wife is studying dental hygiene and also working for a dentist as front desk... she loves the xoom and google body.. she uses the app to show graphically to patients where the problem is located and stuff like that...

the only thing is that shes very disappointed at many apps not working at all with honeycomb.. which is very bad.. google should put more effort on pushing devs to develop for honeycomb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones