• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Copy & PAste?

OK lets just focus on a received email message within the Gmail mobile application for now, forget about the browser that is a different issue.

Within the message body of the received email that you would like to copy from, Hold [menu], after virtual KB comes up hit [shift]+c. Move cursor/arrow to the starting character of the block of text you want to copy. When the cursor becomes a vertical line near text, push the [trackball] to mark beginning. Move the cursor with the [trackball] to the ending character of the block of text you want to copy. Push the [trackball] a second time to mark the end of your block of text and copy to clipboard.

If the above does not help you then take a look at "bushming" post on this thread. The poster "bushming" has the same phone and carrier as you, so it looks like you are stuck with only copying small chunks of text within a message body of the Gmail mobile app using your finger and the touchscreen.

:-( still not working. When I push the [trackball] for the second time, nothing happens, i.e., I don't see "texts copied to clipboard."

Bushming, how did you make it work? can you share? Thanks.

Upvote 0
To confirm, I have only been able to make this work with an open message in the gmail application. No luck with a web page.

With a message open, get as much of what you want copied into the window... you won't be able to scroll the screen while highlighting.

Hold "menu" until the keyboard pops up.

Press the "shift key" (up arrow) to capitalize the letters.

Press "S" OR "C"... it works for me with either one.

Press the button to make the keyboard disappear.

Get your finger as close to where you want to start copying and drag it to as close to where you want to stop. If you actually get exactly what you want highlighted I will buy you a beer. It's not the most precise action and you'll get too much or too little of what you want. The text should turn green and as soon as you lift your finger from the screen a pop up window will inform you that the text was copied to the clipboard.

For testing purposes, hit reply to the email you have open. Press and hold in the compose box and another pop up window will give you the chance to paste it. I was able to paste it into a calendar event, a text message and a new email after a single "cut". I couldn't think of anywhere else I might have wanted to paste it, but if you can, try it. I bet it'll work.

Good luck!

Craig

Upvote 0
To confirm, I have only been able to make this work with an open message in the gmail application. No luck with a web page.

With a message open, get as much of what you want copied into the window... you won't be able to scroll the screen while highlighting.

Hold "menu" until the keyboard pops up.

Press the "shift key" (up arrow) to capitalize the letters.

Press "S" OR "C"... it works for me with either one.

Press the button to make the keyboard disappear.

Get your finger as close to where you want to start copying and drag it to as close to where you want to stop. If you actually get exactly what you want highlighted I will buy you a beer. It's not the most precise action and you'll get too much or too little of what you want. The text should turn green and as soon as you lift your finger from the screen a pop up window will inform you that the text was copied to the clipboard.

For testing purposes, hit reply to the email you have open. Press and hold in the compose box and another pop up window will give you the chance to paste it. I was able to paste it into a calendar event, a text message and a new email after a single "cut". I couldn't think of anywhere else I might have wanted to paste it, but if you can, try it. I bet it'll work.

Good luck!

Craig

I see. Thanks. Yes, I am able to copy and paste using finger. However, the help I'm actually looking for is being able to copy and paste an entire article or email, not just the part that showing on the screen. Is there the "select all" function? Seems like there's no way to do that.

Upvote 0
it works... i can't hold menu to get the keyboard on my telus hero, so i have to hit reply first, so the keyboard opens, scroll down and click on the quoted message and then hit shift-s to get the cursor.

even then though i can't seem to copy more than like a paragraph and a half. wow, so innacurate! what was google thinking not integrating copy-paste into the gmail app lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones