• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Corporate Email Sends Garbage

tdehaan

Lurker
Nov 10, 2011
I've got a Samsung Mesmerize that when sending emails from the Corporate email account to a Yahoo account, the receiver gets a garbage message. We several of these phones in the company and only this particular phone is having this problem. We currently are using Exchange 2003.

Things I have tried:
- Downloading a different email client
- Resetting the phone to factory defaults (upgraded to newest OS)
- Setup a different account on a different exchange server (2010) from a different company (works just fine)
- Changed the keyboard from Samsung to Android (worked for a few days but now having the same problems)
- Confirmed all the mail settings
- Can send messages from Outlook 2010 to Yahoo account just fine
- Phone to Gmail had the same problem for a while but is no longer a problem

It appears to be possibly an Exchange problem, but I wasn't sure if anyone else has had this problem before.

The problem with Exchange is that its not usually compatible with Android phones. I also work with Exchange and my Mesmerize was never able to even connect with the webmail server. However, sending emails to and from the phone and computer where the Exchange server is on works just fine.

The issue could certainly be the account registered to the Exchange server receiving the emails in question. I would make sure that the account has privilege enabled to receive emails from outsourced accounts.

Other than that, it could be a faulty phone.

Upvote 0
The problem with Exchange is that its not usually compatible with Android phones. I also work with Exchange and my Mesmerize was never able to even connect with the webmail server. However, sending emails to and from the phone and computer where the Exchange server is on works just fine.

The issue could certainly be the account registered to the Exchange server receiving the emails in question. I would make sure that the account has privilege enabled to receive emails from outsourced accounts.

Other than that, it could be a faulty phone.

This is not correct. Exchange works just fine with Android. It is actually easier to configure an Android phone to an Exchange server than it is an iPhone.

If you were having issues with it, either your Exchange Admin did not know how to set permissions for your account, or he did not want to allow your account to have them. It's also possible it was set up on the phone incorrectly.

I agree that a faulty phone could be a possibility.

Upvote 0
The user of the phone brought it into US Cellular and had it completely wiped and setup with the latest software as one of the first steps. Since we are an IT firm, we deal with Exchange all the time so we know how to set it up correctly. We just recently got android phones though (were using BlackBerries) so we don't know all the little quirks that it they can have. The phone was working just fine when email from exchange to a yahoo account for several months and then one day it decided to just stop working. No one else has any problems so I too am leaning toward a faulty phone.

Upvote 0
I work for an IT firm as well, we're a few months/insert length of time here ahead of you on working out the Android/iOS/RIM kinks with Exchange. Feel free to PM me with any specifics you're encountering. I may have beaten my head against that wall already.

Even though they did a "full wipe" reload for you, I would still do the factory reset option under settings, just to make sure that something wasn't left behind during the reload. Plus, you'll know you've done all that can be done +1.

The more info you offer, the more I lean towards bad phone. If for no other reason than it gets rid of the headache for you, and the subsequent time suck that it creates.

Upvote 0
So I cleared my exchange account on my phone and setup the user's account on it. We tested sending an email to a yahoo account and it went through fine. He went and got a new phone from US Cellular but it too is having the same problem again. No idea what is going on anymore. Hopefully, pretty soon we will be upgrading to Exchange 2010 (a project that has been in the process for over a year now, but alas the cobbler's kids are the last to get new shoes). I am hoping that may fix the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones