• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help corrupt/damaged image/video files please help

mznightmare

Lurker
Jan 15, 2014
So yesterday I decided to upgrade to a 32gb sd card so I could give my daughter my old one for her camera. I saved all my photos/videos to my phone, inserted new memory card and moved the files to it. When the files were moved from my phone to the 32gb card none of them would load. I tried putting the sd card into the computer, again they wont load. I plug my phone into the computer and import all photos as if I were doing so from my camera. Still won't load. Not even in paint. I have no idea if it's the card or my phone but I moved all the files back to the original sd card thinking maybe that would work, but no.
So now I lost about 100 pictures, most of my newborn son, and I'm devastated. Is there a way to fix the file and recover my photos or are they just lost forever? I was searching online and found a bunch of programs to possibly fix the issue but I don't have internet at my house at the moment nor do I have an extra 50-100$ to spare on some software that may not even work. Please help! I would really like to fix this issue as soon as I can if it's even doable.

If ZAR Data Recovery Software can't find the files (on the original card - you don't know if they ever got to the new card uncorrupted), nothing can. An SD card is a little computer with a disk drive equivalent. ZAR ignores the computer part and reads the memory inside the card directly.

It's free for photo recovery, non-free for recovering anything else.

It's a computer program, not a phone program, so you'll have to mount the card in the computer. (You can download the file to your phone at a friend's house or a wifi hotspot, then copy it to your computer.) If there's no SD card slot (the card should have come with an adapter to put it into a full size SD card slot), you can get an adapter to turn the microUSB card into a USB memory stick for a dollar or two on eBay. (Look for microsd usb adapter.)

The new card probably isn't properly formatted for the phone. Once you get the picture situation sorted out, put the new card into the phone, boot into recovery mode (how you do that depends on the phone, but home/volume+/power might do it). You'll get a menu, among which will be something like Format SD Card. Make sure there's nothing on the card you want, because formatting it deletes everything. If there's something you want to keep (other than the corrupt pictures), copy it to your computer first.

If you have any problems, post them into this thread, so you don't have to explain the whole situation agin.

Reactions: mznightmare
Upvote 0
Thank you. I'm sorry it took so long to respond I just finally fixed the issue about 2 hours ago. I downloaded and ran the program on both memory cards and it didn't work for either one. I had given up until earlier today I was looking through the files in my phone and I tapped a folder labeled ".thumbnails". All of my pictures were in that folder. I ended up being able to copy them into a different folder on the sd card so thankfully I have them back. They're out of order but back. Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
So with this phone it is not letting me choose my sd card as my main source of storage. Which is starting to piss me off cause I repeatedly get a storage running low notification. I have gone through the settings and have found nothing that would let me choose my sd for primary storage. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you!

Upvote 0
There is an app called directory bind which will allow you to link your dcim folder to the ext sd. It is included in lucky patcher and there isa stand alone app also. I also suggest using sdcard caches and boosters plus from gejos ent. It will link several other things to the card. I have tried too many things out and this has always been the most stable for me (on many diff. Phones). The booster app is a paid app but its worth it to me.
Last two things..
First use a class ten card, you dont want the card to be an i/o choke point.
Second, this alot at boot, so make sure everything links successfully before going to do anything, mounting and linking can take afew moments longer.
Hope this helpful. Later
Ben

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones