• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Couple of noob root questions - cant find in search, sorry

scrattyrat

Oct 29, 2010
Hi, have searched a lot and cant find answers, sorry if these are already asked...

- Do you have to flash a ROM in order to root? **OK have found the unrevoked method which doesnt flash a ROM i think (just a recovery image which then lets you flash roms onto it)**

- I am seeing different versions of the same ROMs: 'Pre-rooted' and not 'pre-rooted'. Im not sure what the difference means, does a pre-rooted ROM mean I can just flash that rom and my phone is rooted? I thought the phone already had to be rooted to flash a ROM, in which case why is there one which is 'pre-rooted'?

thanks

ok cool think i get it. The ones that arent pre-rooted are probably to go back to a non-rooted state right?

Ive just rooted my desire successfully using the unrevoked method and have a custom recovery image created during the unrevoked process. Now doing a backup and then can start putting custom ROMs on using RomMsanager or similar :)

thanks

Upvote 0
Don't use ROM Manager, just boot into your custom recovery and do it that way - much easier IMO

And ignore non-rooted ROMs, the only way to go back to stock is to use the RUU that came with your phone (I assume you have that already downloaded, correct?). If you don't have this DO NOT FLASH A ROM UNTIL YOU SEE IF ONE IS AVAILABLE

To see if one is available, check the ROM version on your phone at the moment and go to shipped-roms.com, click on the Android and then on BRAVO (not Desire) and see if a file there matches. If it does download it and keep it safe

Reactions: scrattyrat
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones