• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Couple of questions from a newbie

Saltine713

Android Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2010
NY
tcfpodcast.tk
I am getting the Backflip. It is my first Android phone. I dont care about the 1.5 OS, but I have some questions:

1. GPS: With the GPS in it, are there any apps that use GPS-only, and it the Tom-Tom app worth it?

2. Constant Streaming of Data: When I tried it out in the store, it was roaming for data. When I turned that option off, it said to turn it on, it would cost a lot of money. I am getting the smaller 200 Mb plan, will that suffice for occassional Twitter and weather checks? Most of the time will be with Wifi.

Any tips/tricks I should know about it?

Yeah as far as GPS app/widget is concerned, you should download Waze, its a voice turn by turn navigation and its free... !!!

And as far as the data plan is concerned, you should download: AnyCut. that widget/app will make your backflip use the edge network, and you can turn on the 3G whenever you need to.

To save battery life, adjust numerous settings like brightness and performance mode, and other miscellaneous stuff, also download the advanced task killer, all three widgets are FREE...

enjoy your backflip!!!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the backflip world, you are going to love this phone.

Waze is free and it uses data. Anycut is also free.

For now there are no free apps that do not use data and GPS; they are free becasue you do not get to download the maps. I personally like iGo; but there is also copilot. They do cost, but you download the maps to your memory card, so you can have the phone competly disconnected from data, with GPS on, and get turn by turn directions.

As for data, download quick settings, there is an apn or mobile data button that will disable data 100%

Upvote 0
Copliot is a one time charge and not a monthly fee, plus you need to download the maps as well (2GB file, so use Wifi); but it does not come with updates to the maps. iGo is simular (what I prefer), but since it is not available in the market it is harder to find. But if you search for "igo for android" on google, you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones