• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cracks Under Galaxy S4 Screen

neon471

Lurker
Jan 3, 2015
Hello all, hopefully someone can help me with this. I've had my Galaxy S4 for just a little over a year now, and I've never really had any issues with it. I have dropped it a couple of times in my room prior to this time, but I always have a case on my phone and I have carpeted floors in my room so it's never been an issue. A friend of mine was borrowing my phone several months ago and dropped it on some asphalt, but there was no obvious damage other than some scuff marks on the side of the phone.

Yesterday, I dropped my phone on a hardwood floor and it landed on the back side (as in the side with the cover and battery). When I picked it up only segments of what was on my phone screen could be seen (it was mostly black) and the color was distorted, but it quickly faded out and the whole screen went black. I turned off my phone and turned it back on again. It still flashes the blue notification light as it usually does when it turns off, plays the same music it does when it turns on, and I can still receive calls. However, the screen is still black and as far as I can tell it won't respond to my touch. Since it's all black, you can see what appear to be cracks under the screen. If you catch the light a certain way on the phone screen they are visible, but they can't be felt or seen on the actual surface of the phone, as the screen never actually touched the ground. Since the other components of the phone seem to be working (sound, notification light, etc.) I was wondering if the phone can still be saved? Can the screen be fixed or replaced as it would be if it only had surface cracks, or is it best to give up on the phone all together? Thanks for reading!

id say an s4 is worth trying to save tbh. If its anything like the s3 you should be able to just buy (on ebay etc) the whole display unit and replace it (check youtube for some tutorials first)
Just remember its the actual display thats broken and not just the outer glass.
Good luck mate

Thanks for answering, i've looked at it a little closer and it does seem like it's the display that cracked. I don't think i'm confident or knowledgeable enough to replace the display myself, but if it's a fix that can be done i'm sure I can find someone to replace it for me. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones