• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Current Samsung Moment User Moving to Epic 4G - Can't Wait!

I do like physical keyboards. I have swype on my mytouch le and it is annoying at best with words that I have to add to the dictionary or just mistyping smaller words, or words I have to go out of my way for it to register rather than just going letter to letter.

Before my current phone I had a sidekick (2008) and I do prefer that keyboard to almost everything I have tested, thus far. The new mytouch slide, however, is getting close, I just hope the epic is easy to pick up on, but from the looks of it, should be nice. I am attributing it to be somewhat akin to going from a desktop keyboard to a laptop keyboard. It is awkward at first, but then you get used to it.

I, also, am going to concur with previous statements in this thread. I used to have an ipod touch and the virtual keyboard is nicer than the base one on the mytouch (and android in general) and I prefer it better to swype, but still less than a physical keyboard.

Also, breaking ideas into sentences and even paragraphs helps other people read your train of though better. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0
The question isn't if you can type something with a virtual keyboard; it's how quickly you can do it while being accurate. My iPhone 3GS's keyboard was superior to the Evo's despite the the smaller keys because the phone could actually keep up with every keystroke and register them quickly and accurately. If I try to type on the Evo's virtual keyboard as quickly as I did with the 3GS the phone falls 3-4 characters behind and sometimes inputs the wrong character altogether even though I KNOW I hit the correct key. Not all virtual keyboards are created equal, in my experience.

P.S. In no way am I endorsing Apple/iPhone/iOS. Just speaking from my experience. ;)

Edit: I just turned off vibration while typing and the responsiveness has increased considerably. Highly recommended to evo users biding their time (like me) until this bad boy is released.

There's a video on Youtube that compares the multitouch accuracy of the Epic vs. the HTC Desire. Can't remember the title, but you should check it out; I think the Epic's S-AMOLED screen is going to be much more accurate than anything HTC or any phone devel has come out with to date, and it should be AT LEAST be on par with Apple's new iPhone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones