• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Currents replacement

monarols

Lurker
Sep 23, 2010
Hi all,

I was using "Currents" to read IT news from various sites, and now its gone :mad:

It was great because it would download all the complete stories and images from each site whilst it was connected to my home wi-fi.

I don't have a 3g data connection at work, but was able to read all the stories and view pics as they were all on my phone. (None of this 1 paragraph, then a link to view on the web)

Now Currents has gone, is there any other offline newsreader that will download all the stories and pix (on an interval basis) so the complete article will be available offline?

Many thanks,

Chris.
Perth, Western Australia

Pocket: free, but has a lot of permissions
Instapaper: Paid (US$3)

Both have the ability to download full articles and pics for offline reading. While you are in an article in a browser, all you do is "Share" and then to the app.

Both are in Play Store.

Would I be right in saying you have to view the article either on your PC or tablet first then share it later to pocket for offline reading?

With Currents, I don't remember sharing anything. I just preselected which feeds I would like to view, and it downloaded the latest articals (up to the point that I disconnected from my home wi-fi) I think I had it updating every 4 hours or something.

Obviously there were full articals you may not have been interested in, but the complete stories and pix were on the phone.

I had Pulse a while ago, but ditched it in favor of Currents, as I couldn't see a way to read offline (ie: downloading like currents app did at selected intervals)

I will have a look at pocket anyway

Many thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0
Would I be right in saying you have to view the article either on your PC or tablet first then share it later to pocket for offline reading?

you can save full articles when you are browsing on a desktop or mobile device and then view the full article on your mobile in the app or on your desktop. They both sync your articles to and from mobile/desktop via your account.

Both cases, you read the full article on your phone without data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones