• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Ringtones DRAIN the Battery?

I discovered something interesting today...

I installed some custom ringtones to my SD card last night by creating a ringtones folder on the SD card and copying the ringtones into that folder.

I then selected one of the custom ringtones as my default ringer.

Today my battery was drained over 60% by 11am. :( (unplugged at 6:30am)

Before adding the custom ringtones, I was easily making it to the evening hours without any battery problems.

I checked the battery status and was alarmed to see that my up time and awake time were nearly 1 for 1! :thinking:

I rebooted the phone thinking there was a run away app. After being up for an hour, same problem, a 1 to 1 ratio.

The battery use indicated Cell Standy as number 1 with Android System as number 2.

I knew something was wrong as usually Phone Idle is number 2 in my list.

So, I deleted the Ringtones folder I created on the SD card and rebooted.

I checked the phone over the last couple hours and awake time an up times are back to normal, as is my battery use indicator.

Long story short, it appears that the system may have been staying awake to keep the SD card powered since my default ringtone resided on the SD card?

I have a custom ringtone on my SD and I don't have that problem. You must have some app that's keeping your baby up.

Possible, but not probable. I had rebooted the phone twice and experienced the same problem until I removed the ringtones directory.

Perhaps it was the number of ringtones I had placed in the dir? (approx 200+)

I'm going to see if I can reproduce the problem when I have some time.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones