• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom ROMs and Activation

I've done some pretty extensive google searching, as well as searching here on the forums, and unfortunately I can't find the answer to this one.

If I flash a custom ROM to my DX with ROM Manager and Clockwork, will my phone require me to activate again with the Verizon service?

I'm in Japan for the next 2 weeks, and obviously I'm away from any Verizon networks. I have service while roaming (and a temporarily upgraded international unlimited data plan), but I don't have access to some services that I normally would while on my "home network". In fact, if I go to the Settings > About Phone menu, the "Check for upgrade" option is completely grayed out.

So what's up? If I flash a ROM am i screwed until I get back to the States?

No. No need to reactivate when you flash a custom rom. For some of the ROMs you don't even need to wipe data, so you won't actually lose anything. Really there are just two these days FlyX and Tranquility. Read the instructions before proceeding and you should be fine. A good backup on titanium backup is recommended.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones