Custom ROMs and Activation

Last Updated:

1. Azathot

Azathot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've done some pretty extensive google searching, as well as searching here on the forums, and unfortunately I can't find the answer to this one.

If I flash a custom ROM to my DX with ROM Manager and Clockwork, will my phone require me to activate again with the Verizon service?

I'm in Japan for the next 2 weeks, and obviously I'm away from any Verizon networks. I have service while roaming (and a temporarily upgraded international unlimited data plan), but I don't have access to some services that I normally would while on my "home network". In fact, if I go to the Settings > About Phone menu, the "Check for upgrade" option is completely grayed out.

So what's up? If I flash a ROM am i screwed until I get back to the States?

Advertisement
  2. acmonster

acmonster Well-Known Member

No. No need to reactivate when you flash a custom rom. For some of the ROMs you don't even need to wipe data, so you won't actually lose anything. Really there are just two these days FlyX and Tranquility. Read the instructions before proceeding and you should be fine. A good backup on titanium backup is recommended.

3. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

It depends. IF the ROM/leak has a new baseband, you will need to reactivate the phone.

The first time I installed the 2.2 leak on my original Droid, I had to reactivate. Same with when I put the leak on my Droid X.

4. Xaven

Xaven Member

When i put the leaked 2.2 on my phone i had to reactive. My gmail would never sync though and i couldnt find out why so i had to roll back to 2.1. Make SURE you make a back up of your current ROM before you flash a new one. Anyone know why SYNC wouldnt work?