Custom ROMS and Root would like some advice

Last Updated:

1. kens97sto171

kens97sto171 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, been thinking about rooting and loading a custom ROM. What I am looking for is a ROM that is simple (no custom themes, fancy backgrounds etc) Just simple and FAST!! and STABLE!! similar to the stock 2.2. I would prefer a 2.2 based ROM but don't really care if it will do the job.
    I would like to be able to overclock, run a temp monitor, and play a variety of video types AVI, WMF, etc. (I know there are apps that can do this) I would also like to be able to do WIFI tethering (or act as a HotSpot etc) if possible.. but not required.
    I started looking over the section about ROOT and ROMS and was very overwhelmed by all the choices out there.
    I would appreciate any suggestions from the group about the best ROMS that fit my list of things. Thanks so much.

Ken

Advertisement
  2. Eckyx

Eckyx Well-Known Member

The first and only ROM I loaded onto my phone was Pete's bugless beast 0.5.

http://androidforums.com/droid-roms/182852-rom-stable-bugless-beast-v0-5-android-2-2-frg22d.html

Visually, it's almost identical to the stock ROM. The whole idea behind BB is for it to be a minimalist, fast, bug-free ROM, and that appeals to me too. However, there are a lot of other excellent choices, and I am continually tempted to try ROMs like LFY and UltimateDroid (2 examples which seem very well developed). Having more features doesnt automatically make them slower.

–----------------------

I tried several kernels and couldnt see any performance difference between them at the same clocks, so I've settled on ChevyNo1's 1.2ghz uLowV kernel, since he is the only one with an "ultra" low volt option, and it works on my phone. Whether his "u" kernels are actually lower in voltage than the competition's low voltage options, I dont know, since few of them tell us what actual voltages are used.

3. kens97sto171

Thanks.. for the suggestions on the ROMS. .Is there any easy way to ROOT??? I saw Easy Root, but then found it does not work with FRG22D.

I am not a idiot when it comes to computers.. But easier/safer is better for me.
    I will probably use ROM Manager for upgrade.

Thanks
    Ken

4. Eckyx

Eckyx Well-Known Member

Edited my first post.

There is a one-click root, should be on the 2nd or 3rd page of Droid - ROMs by now, that works beautifully.

5. kens97sto171

Thank you

Ken

6. kens97sto171

ROOTTED NOW!!! YEAH!! I had to do it several times to get it to work. First tried the newest version.. no go, then the next oldest version, no go. Then eventually tried the newest again.. and it worked.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Ken

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Great! Now MAKE A BACKUP! :)

8. kens97sto171

That was my plan. I already got Titanium Backup...working on that now. Do I need the PRo version or will the free one work ok?? I dont have any apps that i cant go download again really.
    If I get a custom ROM will the market still know what apps I paid for.

Thanks

Ken

9. The_Chief

You need to go into your Recovery console (either ClockworkMod or SPRecovery, I recommend Clockwork) and make a nandroid backup of your phone's current state. TiBU backs up apps and app data, but not your phone's image. MyBackupPro (free for 30 days) backs up SMS/MMS, call log, etc. For recovery images, download ROM Manager (free) and flash your choice. Then backup to your heart's content. But by all means: Back up!

A Froyo ROM (2.2) should automatically restore your apps but if you need your data backed up, TiBu is great for that. The paid version will do batches, so you don't have to restore 1 at a time.

10. kens97sto171

Where do I get Clockwork Mod.. I looked on the market and did not find it.

Thanks again for all your help

DUHH!! I see it, its in ROM Manager.
    Ken

11. The_Chief

Try going into Recovery using x+power. You MAY have to flash Clockwork a couple of times to get it to stick... it's kind of finicky that way, but far more versatile than SPRecovery IMHO

12. bassmankc

bassmankc Active Member

ok so I just rooted, more to play with clock speeds than anything else, finally figured out the recovery back up, thanks to this thread! now where to find kernals?

13. tommyk2005

tommyk2005 Member

14. kens97sto171

OK, in ROM manager I tried to backup current ROM (the stock 2.2 ROM), It asked for a file name, I put one in. It rebooted and came back up.. Question is.. where does it put that file at? I used astro and hunted around.. and could not find it. Before I go farther I want to make sure it actually did the backup.

Thanks

Ken

15. The_Chief

If you used ClockworkMod it will be on the SD card in a folder named clockworkmod/backup

16. kens97sto171

Weird.. Found the Clockwork folder but there is no backup folder under it, nor the file I named. Gonna try it again, but leave the file name as it put it.. maybe it did not like that.

Ok.. its doing something different now.. I am getting a picture of a triangle with an exclamation mark inteh center with a phone next to it... gonna wait and see what happens. But it definatly did not do this before.

17. The_Chief

That's odd... :confused:

Try naming it StockFinal and try again... we'll get this figured out

The triangle means you lost recovery. Flash SPRecovery and then flash ClockworkMod AGAIN.

18. kens97sto171

Seems to be backing up now, thanks. I am guessing that I should move that backup file to some place safe other than on the phone.

I downloaded some Chevy ROM to my PC, it is easier to just move them to the SDCARD and choose them in ROM Manager that way? Or should I choose them THRU ROM Manager and download them thru the phone.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ken

19. The_Chief

If you download them to the PC and move them to the SD card you will never go wrong... I have YET to have that method fail me. After you backup everything, wipe data and install the ROM.

WARNING: DO NOT use the Ultimate Droid ROMs in ROM Manager! They are old old old!

You can COPY the backups onto a PC or something, but make sure they're still on the phone in case you have to restore.

20. kens97sto171

Thanks for the heads up.. on Ultimate Droid. The backup went fine this time.

Any suggestions on which ChevyNo1 to try first?? I have .8Ghz to 1.2 in several configs of voltage.

Thanks again for all the help.. looking forward my "NEW" phone.

Ken

21. The_Chief

If I woke up in your shoes I would put several kernels on the phone and start with the highest frequency kernel. If THAT throws you into a bootloop, just step down one notch.

Remember, no wipe required when flashing kernels.

22. kens97sto171

Thanks so much for your help.. I will let you know how it goes.

Ken

23. kens97sto171

Well.. so far have tried 1.25 1.2 1.1 all meduim voltage ROMS.. I choose Wipe data, but not backup. The phone reboots, get the motorola boot icon, then I get that Triangle with Exclamation again. Power down and it comes back up normally.

These ROM files are on the root of the directory right?. Gonna try the 1.0 MV.. but do you have any suggestions.

My old Update.zip file is still there in the root too would that matter.

AHH.. should have paid attention more.. I reflashed recovery and it did something else.. so lets see what happens

Seems to be working now... Thanks so much.

Thanks.
    Ken

24. The_Chief

I think you're confusing ROMs with kernels. You wipe when flashing ROMs (which is the phone's operating system) NOT with kernels (the phone's BIOS, if you will). You're trying to flash KERNELS, so DO NOT WIPE.

25. kens97sto171

OOPS!!! To late. Its up and running with the 1.1 MV. What are the concequesnces of me having done that... lost my apps I already saw that. No biggie.. I did not really have anything I cant re download. I guess I could restore the backup, then do it again with out wipe? Looks like it automnatically downloading all my purchaserd apps..

Thanks for being patient...

Ken