• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom ROMS and Root would like some advice

Hey, been thinking about rooting and loading a custom ROM. What I am looking for is a ROM that is simple (no custom themes, fancy backgrounds etc) Just simple and FAST!! and STABLE!! similar to the stock 2.2. I would prefer a 2.2 based ROM but don't really care if it will do the job.
I would like to be able to overclock, run a temp monitor, and play a variety of video types AVI, WMF, etc. (I know there are apps that can do this) I would also like to be able to do WIFI tethering (or act as a HotSpot etc) if possible.. but not required.
I started looking over the section about ROOT and ROMS and was very overwhelmed by all the choices out there.
I would appreciate any suggestions from the group about the best ROMS that fit my list of things. Thanks so much.

Ken

The first and only ROM I loaded onto my phone was Pete's bugless beast 0.5.

http://androidforums.com/droid-roms/182852-rom-stable-bugless-beast-v0-5-android-2-2-frg22d.html

Visually, it's almost identical to the stock ROM. The whole idea behind BB is for it to be a minimalist, fast, bug-free ROM, and that appeals to me too. However, there are a lot of other excellent choices, and I am continually tempted to try ROMs like LFY and UltimateDroid (2 examples which seem very well developed). Having more features doesnt automatically make them slower.

–----------------------

I tried several kernels and couldnt see any performance difference between them at the same clocks, so I've settled on ChevyNo1's 1.2ghz uLowV kernel, since he is the only one with an "ultra" low volt option, and it works on my phone. Whether his "u" kernels are actually lower in voltage than the competition's low voltage options, I dont know, since few of them tell us what actual voltages are used.

Upvote 0
You need to go into your Recovery console (either ClockworkMod or SPRecovery, I recommend Clockwork) and make a nandroid backup of your phone's current state. TiBU backs up apps and app data, but not your phone's image. MyBackupPro (free for 30 days) backs up SMS/MMS, call log, etc. For recovery images, download ROM Manager (free) and flash your choice. Then backup to your heart's content. But by all means: Back up!

A Froyo ROM (2.2) should automatically restore your apps but if you need your data backed up, TiBu is great for that. The paid version will do batches, so you don't have to restore 1 at a time.

Upvote 0
Weird.. Found the Clockwork folder but there is no backup folder under it, nor the file I named. Gonna try it again, but leave the file name as it put it.. maybe it did not like that.

Ok.. its doing something different now.. I am getting a picture of a triangle with an exclamation mark inteh center with a phone next to it... gonna wait and see what happens. But it definatly did not do this before.

Upvote 0
Seems to be backing up now, thanks. I am guessing that I should move that backup file to some place safe other than on the phone.

I downloaded some Chevy ROM to my PC, it is easier to just move them to the SDCARD and choose them in ROM Manager that way? Or should I choose them THRU ROM Manager and download them thru the phone.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ken

Upvote 0
If you download them to the PC and move them to the SD card you will never go wrong... I have YET to have that method fail me. After you backup everything, wipe data and install the ROM.

WARNING: DO NOT use the Ultimate Droid ROMs in ROM Manager! They are old old old!

You can COPY the backups onto a PC or something, but make sure they're still on the phone in case you have to restore.

Upvote 0
Well.. so far have tried 1.25 1.2 1.1 all meduim voltage ROMS.. I choose Wipe data, but not backup. The phone reboots, get the motorola boot icon, then I get that Triangle with Exclamation again. Power down and it comes back up normally.

These ROM files are on the root of the directory right?. Gonna try the 1.0 MV.. but do you have any suggestions.

My old Update.zip file is still there in the root too would that matter.

AHH.. should have paid attention more.. I reflashed recovery and it did something else.. so lets see what happens

Seems to be working now... Thanks so much.

Thanks.
Ken

Upvote 0
OOPS!!! To late. Its up and running with the 1.1 MV. What are the concequesnces of me having done that... lost my apps I already saw that. No biggie.. I did not really have anything I cant re download. I guess I could restore the backup, then do it again with out wipe? Looks like it automnatically downloading all my purchaserd apps..

Thanks for being patient...

Ken

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones