• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Roms- Seek and ye shall find.

Ruh17

Dec 17, 2009
California
Hey everybody, just wanted to have a thread for people to post locations for finding custom roms. I'm sure once the ball gets rolling good there is going to be a deluge of custom roms coming out, and people need to know where to look.

xda-developers is always a good place to look for custom roms and practically anything else related to your phone.

*disclaimer* just because a site is recommended does not alleviate your need to do your due diligence to make sure whatever changes you make to your phone don't have any unintended negative consequences... And in the end they still might. Do your homework and then do whatever you choose at your own risk.

There is already one custom rom on Xda and a couple more to come. The only one currently available is sense related, so if you are like me and don't run sense, don't bother. The same Dev is, however, working on finishing a vanilla rom.

AND, before anyone asks, you do have to be rooted to use a custom rom.

Edited for spelling and clarification.

Upvote 0
Rooted here.. What is a vanilla rom? Is there literally nothing on it?

How many home screens are there? What if any widgets do ya think?

can I copy your sig scoobz ? :)

A "vanilla ROM" just refers to a ROM running "vanilla Android", or Android with no other UI (such as Sense or Motoblur) on top of it. The Motorola Droid runs vanilla Android.

The stock Android versions currently available use 3 home screens, but there are numerous "home replacement" apps available in the Market that will allow you to have more.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones