• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root custom roms

i saw the first link, it requires 2.2? i only have 2.1. the latest aria update does not have froyo, right? what is the cm-6? s orry, new to all of this.

and i just found out my model number is the htc liberty... this is the same thing as the aria?!

Yes, the AT&T Aria is also known as the HTC Liberty. CM 6 is Cyangenmod 6 which is based on Froyo 2.2. It is built from the Froyo 2.2 SDK and it about as close to vanilla Android as you can get.

Regards,

Tom

Upvote 0
There are two custom roms that I know of at the moment.
1) ROM: Liberated_Aria - xda-developers

This one is basically the stock system 2.1 with updated kernel and bloatware removed. Very nice and works great.

2) CyanogenMod-6 for Aria: It's soo sexy - the proof is in the kernel! V6.0.0 (08/27/10) - xda-developers

This one is a complete update to 2.2 with absolutely no google apps or bloatware Or HTC Sense. This is also a very nice rom and works well. Please note that this rom is does NOT have HTC Sense UI.

Upvote 0
I am sure that a new flash would be much easier to do than moving all that stuff with adb.

I have never used reflash 3 before so can not comment on that.
I always used unrevoked3 and then used adb or some other method to get the new rom zip file to the sdcard. Then boot into recovery holding the Volume minus button while you turn on the power. Then select update from zip file and select the file you put on your sdcard. This has worked for me without problems on all tries.

Upvote 0
What is the difference between update from zip vs install from sdcard

Are you referring to the entry in the ClockworkMod Recovery menu when you reboot into recovery mode? Specifically >> apply sdcard:update.zip?

I get the idea that this is a historic or test menu item left in the build. I do not think there would be Any difference with installing a rom you renamed to update.zip or from installing a rom with a custom name from the sdcard. The only difference would be in selecting either one from the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

Upvote 0
installation aborts when I try to install the rom

I might be able to be more helpful with a more specific description BUT maybe you have not toggled the signature verification? Otherwise, yeah it may be a bad file, corrupted or something. It could also be a bad sdcard but that is rare. Did the card get exposed to heat, cold, strong magnets or water?

Upvote 0
yeah that sounds like a bad file. Where are you getting this error from? Is it after you check it when you download the rom? You do check it after download, right? If you are getting it from the phone/recovery then you still need to check the download md5 and then start from there.

I hardly ever have trouble with corrupt downloads or files but you never know. Anyway this is the first place to start.

Upvote 0
I am sure that a new flash would be much easier to do than moving all that stuff with adb.

I have never used reflash 3 before so can not comment on that.
I always used unrevoked3 and then used adb or some other method to get the new rom zip file to the sdcard. Then boot into recovery holding the Volume minus button while you turn on the power. Then select update from zip file and select the file you put on your sdcard. This has worked for me without problems on all tries.

reflash 3.1 is rEVOked3. When you run it you can select a recovery image to flash, so that's what I did. My firmware version is 2.1-update1, and my kernel is 2.6.29-885f0b88.

Haven't used adb yet, haven't had time to figure it out. Guess I'll have to make time.

Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Is it necessary to partition the SD card prior to installing a ROM?

Update.... I downloaded Rom Manager on the open market and installed Liberated _Aria and it worked!!!! Looks like it's the same as stock minus the bloatware. Maybe I'll try that Cyanogen Mod 6 rom next. Can I delete the zip file now to save space on the SD Card?

this may come off as dumb, but what does it mean to "partition" it? does it mean to reserve a spot for some software?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones