Customized Ringtones on the Droid XSupport

Last Updated:

1. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have hundreds of customized music ringtones on my Itunes library. My question is will I be able to transfer them and use them on the Droid X ??

Advertisement
  2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Yes, If you can not set them as ringtones but they will play on your droid X, just download ringdroid from the market. Convert the whole song to a ringtone using ringdroid.

ftards likes this.
  3. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for your reply.

4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Yes you can use your own custom ringtones with the Droid X. I make mine on the computer and then just transfer them to the phone.

5. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

Can you customize the new text tones as well? Drives me out of my mind that you can't with an iPhone.

6. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

I second this, one of the dumbest things they didn't include with the iPhone... Does anybody know if you can on the DX?

7. 1977sjr

1977sjr Well-Known Member

I am not (yet) an Android user until I get my new X this Thursday, but my understanding is that any sound notifications (text, email, status alerts, etc.) can be changed to any custom tone you want. I believe all you have to do is sync up to your PC and drag and drop your sound files into the correct notifications folder on your memory card and then just change your tones on your phone. I have a bunch of custom rintones and notification sounds that I'm using on my Blackberry now that I plan on transferring over to my X.

8. urdaddi

urdaddi Well-Known Member

How are you making the ringtones on your computer? I would love to be able to do that.

9. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

I use motorola phone tools to do this.Pretty nice, but Ringdroid is pretty easy and it will put it in whatever folder you want. (ring tone, notification and alarm)

10. verdegallardo

verdegallardo Well-Known Member

Yup!

11. BigMrE

BigMrE Member

audacity is a program you can use to make ringtones from mp3, ogg and wav files. You crop to the part of the audio file you want and then can export in many different formats. Then you just add the sounds to your phone. Use it and bitpim for my lg voyager.

12. Airmaxx23

I use Free Audio Editor, very simple to use and it's free. I usually amplify the volume by 25% just to make the tones a little louder.

13. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I use Cool Edit Pro, but there are some free audio editors out there (try Google). Clip about 30 seconds out of your favorite song. Save it as an MP3. Copy the file to your Android SD card into the media/ringtones folder. Save it to media/alarms to use as an alarm or media/notification for notifications.

14. exwifeusesiphone

exwifeusesiphone Well-Known Member

I am a musician and have tons of soft synths, if anyone wants some cool beeps, let me know and I'll give it a whirl, I actually haven't made many yet, but if someone gives me an assignment I sometimes go to work.

Here is one I made in 10 minutes just now :)

sluzbenik - Ringtone - SoundCloud

15. Ringhale

Ringhale Well-Known Member

Does it have to be an MP3 I was using the free version of Free Audio Editor which only lets you save as a wave... and the X didnt seem to like that very much..

16. Kipmaslonka

Kipmaslonka Member

I've used mp3directcut before and it seems pretty easy

17. Terminatrix

Terminatrix New Member

Myxer is an online site that lets you upload any MP3 and chop it up to use whatever parts you want for ringtones.

But has anyone figured out how to save them directly into the text ringtones on the Droid X? I just got mine and it has preset tones for text notifications, but allows custom ones for when the phone rings. If it were the other way around, that might not be so bad, but I do much more texting than calling. It seems a shame to go from a little Blackberry Pearl with this feature to this amazing new phone that doesn't have it automatically!
    (Plus I can't gloat over my boyfriend about the lack of this in his iPhone anymore!)
    Any ideas for a NEWB Android user?

* nevermind, I figured out how to do it. There is an app called aRing that can do it. It's very simple and just allows you to use your ring tones library to set your notification tones. Now if I could just figure out how to keep it from using that tone when I get emails, too (or how to get it to stop playing. I have my phone set on double tap to stop the ringer, but for some reason it doesn't).

18. Airmaxx23

I use Free Audio Editor (just google it), open an audio file with the program, cut out the part you want, fade in the beginning, fade out the end, and then amplify the volume an additional 30%.

19. koalabear65

koalabear65 New Member

I can't do this!!! I tried to make new folders and drag some but when I go to edit my ringtones it just comes up the phone ring tone menu?? What the heck!!! I could assign different a ringtone for calls and text messages for each contact. What am I doing wrong?? Someone get me started. I understand to make the folders, but can someone start at square 1 after I connect to my PC? Something is not clicking in my mind and I am frustrated!!! Thank you so much:mad:

20. exwifeusesiphone

exwifeusesiphone Well-Known Member

You must create in the root directory of the SD Card these paths:
    Media/Audio/Ringtones
    Media/Audio/Notifications
    Media/Audio/Alarms

Ringdroid will also do this for you...

Then just dump the MP3s you want in those respective folders. Too bad they don't explain this anywhere :)

The only notification sound you can't change to your own is the SD Card notification sound, because the system can't access the SD Card when it's mounting.

aplechaty, kennychaffin and GoNe2heLL like this.
  21. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

Thank you Thank You THANK YOU!!!

The $)(#**$UGVKOM#$O so called manual sucks and so does the motorola faq....

This is all I needed to know and I've been searching for it several times today!

22. ylomnstr

ylomnstr Member

Why is this not working for my X? I had no problems with ringtones on my D1. I've rebooted and everything. What am I missing?

23. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

Not sure, did you make the folders above and put the mp3's in them?

Once I did that they show up in the selection list.

24. Mogo34

Mogo34 New Member

Same for me; created the folders, moved the files, still not visible in the ringtone list. Weird part is that I had them at one point, without having done the above, but I can't remember what I did. Just seemed to me like my Droid X was truly an alien; I'd set the ringtones, then unbeknownst to me I'd receive a call and it'd be my fiance's rt while she's sitting right next to me - yes, an odd situation the couple of times that has happened.

I'm having trouble figuring out the Android folder system, coming from a Windows Mobile device - still lots to learn. Back to the topic of this thread, what's missing in the picture?

25. bumpylemon

bumpylemon Well-Known Member

i had the same f**cking problem. they all worked...and now they dont. and ive created a thread on here but no one chimed in..