• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cyanogen ROM & auto install root & IT war?

piludo36

Jun 20, 2013
Earth
Hi, oh this is gonna be fun:)
From the hundreds (1000's?:) of hours I've researched on how to just get this phone I both love and hate to do what it's capable of I learned about rooting and ROM's. Wilster's first of course. When I began looking for something easier (not better) to install, as I've never rooted a phone and this phone's rep for being royally &**$-up with root, I came across info that CM was going "big" and had an "auto installer" to root a phone so you could install their ROM.
The possibility of auto-root is a dream. No risk, and then being able to control the phone, freeze or remove the crapware and give Casio & Verizon a big #1 finger... No, let me dare not dream the impossible. There is no Santa Claus... yet I keep looking.
I checked out CM's site a few nights ago and sure enough out of the 100's of phones they listed a ROM for, of course our beloved tank wasn't one of them. I was only surprised because they have ROMs for phones way more obscure than ours. WTF?!
I wrote them, without the WTF, to ask if there was a ROM for this phone. I personally don't feel the need for one and would prefer Wilster's if I did, but I figure they wouldn't be too keen on my asking about auto-install root without using their ROM. Also, I think the two processes go together. I haven't received an answer.
Now I just found out they took down their auto installer. After initial success there were "security problems". Also, Google took them off the play store and CM is now looking to compete with Android/Google. Hmmm....?
CM has acquired backing, there are apps issues and I had no idea was once an independent developer group, that was bought by google. (I love android but google apps make you pay for convenience with your privacy). Also, I didn't know Google had shelved a lot of original android apps for their own. Many I can't find anywhere, especially for 2.3.3
It's all kinda' convoluted and very IT political and pissy. I read posts where people were taking sides like an election. Oy vay! Boy can nerds get mad:) "Google is God" to "CM is selling out". Hey, I just want my phone rooted..
"No respect. I'll tell ya', no respect at all!"
My questions to you my brethren and sistren is this:
1 Anyone had any experience with CM and the c7771?

2 Who actually owns/makes Casio phones?
When I saw the listings of crapware on phones it seemed as if one of the Droid models was basically our phone without the kavilar vest. Yet I read today that Casio is owned by Moto, so now I'm really confused.

3 Has anyone had success with one of the auto-root install tools on line?
I can't find one successful root account via one-click or klingo. Same goes, any success?

If all my facts aren't correct please forgive and feel free to correct.

Thanks Wilster,
The fact Casio designed the Commando exclusively for Verizon explains a lot. Verizon's choices are what made things problematic. I know Casio has discontinued this phone, sad. Things could've been different.
This phone could have been much more popular, and worked better had Casio made other "versions" for other phone carriers who might've put less crap (or better crap) on it. Or possibly Casio could had even sold an unlocked, no or low bloat version on their own. Both the Gz & LTE are damn good phones, can you imagine if it were sold unlocked and devoid of crapware?
The functionality of the phone out of the box would be much better and with it's durability I think it would've taken off. Also, higher demand might have lead to CM developing a ROM and auto-roots working.
Casio shot themselves in the foot by going all in with Verizon and letting them dictate the phone's format. They could've made a lot of money.
Say, I saw an Asian version of the Commando, looked similar to the c881. Just curious if anyone knows if it was made for Verizon, another company or unlocked. I'm guessing regardless, getting a phone from another country to work here would be a headache.
Love the South Korean law though, no bloat!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones