• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod overwrote recovery from TWRP to CWM

cquinn

Jun 18, 2010
L.A.
Well somewhere along the way when flashing cm11 nightlys my recovery got overwritten to cwm and now every time I try to flash a new rom I get a failure/abort. Tried flashify but it just hangs on the splash screen. Tried flashing recovery thru fastboot and, while still in fastboot, going immediately to recovery but same splash screen hang. As all but one of my nandroids are TWRP I can't flash back to anything but CM. It's very frustrating. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Edit: also tried rom manager but still get installation aborted. in this recovery do roms have to be on one card or the other to work?

Last edited:
Just a guess, but maybe try "fastboot erase cache" after fastboot flashing recovery (if it doesn't work it won't do more than waste a few seconds). Am very surprised that just fastboot flashing recovery didn't work though.

ROM Manager is written by the developer of CWM, so I'd expect that to want CWM recovery. Indeed my first thought was that it may have been ROM Manager that installed CWM for you in the first place.

Upvote 0
Just a guess, but maybe try "fastboot erase cache" after fastboot flashing recovery (if it doesn't work it won't do more than waste a few seconds). Am very surprised that just fastboot flashing recovery didn't work though.

ROM Manager is written by the developer of CWM, so I'd expect that to want CWM recovery. Indeed my first thought was that it may have been ROM Manager that installed CWM for you in the first place.

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones