data usage on wifi

Last Updated:

1. rlt7272

rlt7272 New Member

Ok, another question. If I am connected to my office/home wifi will that data usage count against the cel plan.

Typing that out makes me think the obvious answer is no but I want to get confirmation.

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

If your connected to wifi then no it wont count on your data plan
  3. Dark Reality

Dark Reality Well-Known Member

No. Your data plan is for Internet access through the cell networks. If you get wi-fi, your phone will not access the cell networks, and will instead access the wi-fi network.

Be careful where you use wi-fi, though. I picked up a wi-fi signal at work, and then quickly realized that I did not want to be on their network with my phone. If you're at a laundromat or a restaurant or a hotel or some place that offers it for everybody... I wouldn't worry. But I would use judgment with using wi-fi with somebody who can find out who you are... depending upon what you look up, obviously.
  4. hollywoodroid

hollywoodroid Member

will wifi automatically stop the cell network from being used? Meaning, once connected to a wifi network, will at&t data usage stop? Or do you have to shut down the at&t internet connection manually?
  5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

No if you are connected to wifi (and don't lose the wifi signal by going out of range) att data is automatically shut off.
  6. georgesmith1

georgesmith1 New Member

hi, if you use wifi from your own router at home you wont be charged, your not on you network to get the internet, try doing this, on into settings, and put your phone onto offline mode, this will turn of the network signal, now go onto the internet, there can be no charge as your not using the service providers phone signal.