• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Date/time keeps changing

Fritos

Lurker
Feb 10, 2023
Somebody please help me I'm on a jp5s inmate tablet running Android 4.2.2 rooted ---i set my date forward in order to get game bonuses and now my date and time is stuck 8days into the future.every time I set the correct time and date (auto and manual) it changes back to the future time/date when the minute rolls over. This happened to a friend that I'm no longer in contact with and he fixed the problem by rewriting the system time(epoch time) what's the path to that file? I'm using ES as my file browser.

The date/time in any device is not a 'file' that you can edit, it's continuously changing variable that gets actively updated by a device's base firmware.
There's a clock chip on the logic board, or just as likely just an added feature in a primary SoC (System on a Chip) processor, that retains the date/time for the device, and as long as the device itself has an online connection the date/time will be constantly updated.

On a tablet that's running 4.2.2 (jelly Bean), that goes back almost a decade ago. Odds are the battery in it is failing so the current date/time can't be retained. Either replace the battery if possible (most tablets it's not), or leave it always plugged into its charger. But that is a very dated tablet. it's past due to upgrade to a new or newer one. JP5 devices are intended to be used only within very, very controlled, monitored settings anyway (...that's part of the installed firmware, not matter if rooted or not), Get one that's from a typical, consumer retailer. It will be much more usable without the need to 'hack' it basic functionality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones