• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dead battery , blinking charging light

Andrei97

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
[SOLVED] So yesterday my phone died out , battery completely drained. So obviously I plugged the charger in but something new happened , instead of staying on , the charging light was blinking, after some time the normal white empty battery appeared on the screen but then it went black again , in the whole time the charging light is blinking and the big white battery icon appears from time to time. The phone is out of warranty ( htc desire 500 single sim , rooted , custom rom) , I tried booting it , fastboot and recovery , usb charge and ac wall charge , tried pulling the battery and putting it back on , cleaned the battery contacts , almost everything I could think of. If anyone has any ideas ....

Last edited:
Just did something weird , I covered the two middle pins of the battery and charged it like that , it worked but it was too low so when I start the phone it started but turned back off pretty fast , if I charge it off it opens the cwm recovery which seems to just stay on but if I pull the charger it goes off and again the blinking light. I will try to let it charge with the middle pins covered for a while and then try to start it and charge it on.

Upvote 0
I don't know much about phone batteries but did you read this ^^?
I know a LOT about phone batteries, I've personally ignited one intentionally under laboratory test condition and it's nothing to fool around with.

When ignition occurs, you're going to be dealing with a chemical fire spewing toxic gasses, with a flame jet or jets very much like a blowtorch.

I did it with a high capacity battery - the main jet peaked at nearly 20" (50 cm) and maintained constant fire for over an hour.

The press has a story about a room or house burning down once a year from this sort of thing with the Internet Experts all laughing fake.

Airplanes have been routed for emergency landings over cell phone ignitions - it not something you control with a Dixie cup of ice water.

If you've ever seen it, you'll never want to again.

Farting around with charging contacts is as dangerous as Russian roulette.

You might pull that trigger and laugh away that I had no idea what I was talking about.

Or we might read about you in the news and we'll give you a Darwin Award.

All I ever do is give the simple warning.

When ignored, I know what choice has been made.

The rest of you from now on know the real story - please warn others when you see the same.

Thanks! :)

Reactions: hiredgun
Upvote 0
I just about always charge my phone at night when everyone is sleeping obviously, so now you have me thinking. Under NORMAL charging conditions do I run any kind of risk charging it at night when we are all knocked out????
I know a LOT about phone batteries, I've personally ignited one intentionally under laboratory test condition and it's nothing to fool around with.

When ignition occurs, you're going to be dealing with a chemical fire spewing toxic gasses, with a flame jet or jets very much like a blowtorch.

I did it with a high capacity battery - the main jet peaked at nearly 20" (50 cm) and maintained constant fire for over an hour.

The press has a story about a room or house burning down once a year from this sort of thing with the Internet Experts all laughing fake.

Airplanes have been routed for emergency landings over cell phone ignitions - it not something you control with a Dixie cup of ice water.

If you've ever seen it, you'll never want to again.

Farting around with charging contacts is as dangerous as Russian roulette.

You might pull that trigger and laugh away that I had no idea what I was talking about.

Or we might read about you in the news and we'll give you a Darwin Award.

All I ever do is give the simple warning.

When ignored, I know what choice has been made.

The rest of you from now on know the real story - please warn others when you see the same.

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
I just about always charge my phone at night when everyone is sleeping obviously, so now you have me thinking. Under NORMAL charging conditions do I run any kind of risk charging it at night when we are all knocked out????
Only if you had one series of the Samsung Galaxy S3 - they had a defective batch of those, leading to Samsung adding into their user guides to not do it.

I sleep with one plugged in next to me, it's my alarm clock. I sleep like a baby.

I figured I have worse chances crossing the street than being first to uncover a rare charging defect on a well-known device.

With a good charger. With a good cable.

Reactions: hiredgun
Upvote 0
Thanks, that's a load off my mind, and I use mine as an alarm clock too, lol.:D
Only if you had one series of the Samsung Galaxy S3 - they had a defective batch of those, leading to Samsung adding into their user guides to not do it.

I sleep with one plugged in next to me, it's my alarm clock. I sleep like a baby.

I figured I have worse chances crossing the street than being first to uncover a rare charging defect on a well-known device.

With a good charger. With a good cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones