• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dear ADF - I could use some help rooting my HTC TB

Reactions: trter10
Upvote 0
So - does this also disable OTA updates? and if I wanted to flash a new rom - say the CM7 TB JellyBean rom that just got released - would I need to do something special?

I've been reading through these threads: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/418539-thunderbolt-root-unroot-thread.html and been sort of confused on what to do. Some say I need to go through Revolutionary, some say I need to use the adb - I'm a total noob at this and just want to get familiar with how to do all of this.

You cannot run ice cream sandwhich or jelly bean roms on this phone. they have not been built yet due to the fact the current thunderbolt build is not compatible with the newer framework..

Ice cream sandwhich is coming by the end of august for the thunderbolt from verizon/htc

Upvote 0
What exactly do you mean current framework of the phone? I thought my phone had all the stats and Hardware to run these?

its has nothing to do with the stats & general hardware. the phone has all the consumer power, speed & such but...

The thunderbolt framework (the underlying build that makes the phone work) is different in certain ways than other android builds. Until HTC/Verizon release an ice cream sandwhich rom or a dev gets a hold of a test ics rom, we cant build a functioning ics rom with working data and such.

To be technical, we need the RIL info to make a functioning ics or MAYBE a stripped down jelly bean rom. We don't have this.

Now you also have to realise that the phone while a great phone in its time is outdated with todays specs and may not even be able to run jelly bean. Its just making it in terms of running ICS and we dont know how well yet either.

Without sounding condensending or such, you should really read up on root, roms & stuff. There is more to it than just having a phone totally open. Just because a phone is rooted doesn't mean you can do everything to it. Phones have limitations especially with how fast the android market moves with phones..

Upvote 0
You cannot run ice cream sandwhich or jelly bean roms on this phone. they have not been built yet due to the fact the current thunderbolt build is not compatible with the newer framework..

Ice cream sandwhich is coming by the end of august for the thunderbolt from verizon/htc

jrocker,i believe he is refering to this rom: http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...new-rom-teamvicious-jellyblur-cm7-v7-2-a.html ,wich is cm7(gingerbread) themed to look like jelly bean.

alexonvinyl you will be able to run that rom just fine. the comments jrocker made are excellent information,but are refering to "real" builds of android 4.0 and 4.1,wich are not the same as the rom you want to run.

Upvote 0
jrocker,i believe he is refering to this rom: http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...new-rom-teamvicious-jellyblur-cm7-v7-2-a.html ,wich is cm7(gingerbread) themed to look like jelly bean.

alexonvinyl you will be able to run that rom just fine. the comments jrocker made are excellent information,but are refering to "real" builds of android 4.0 and 4.1,wich are not the same as the rom you want to run.

my apologies, i thought he wanted to run pure jelly bean or ics. thanks for advising...

Upvote 0
I've been reading up a bit, trying to grasp it a bit more. The reason behind my wanting to root the phone is because if HTC stops development on my phone that I got a little better a year ago as of today, I want to still be able to keep up in some sense to make better use of my phone, not necessarily run the official latest android fw, but to run custom builds of such that can be fitted to run on my phone such as that CM7 jelly bean Rom mod. I also want more control over my phone - I suppose you could say that I want to be able to root and explore more options with the device I have in meanwhile waiting for another upgrade.

I know what a bootloader is and had access to my MotoDroid 1 bootloader by keyboard access, so I understand that, how it works, but I'm a little lost on rooting, and upgrading a Rooted device. Also a bit lost on what a temp root is.

Again thank you all for being so patient with me on all of this. I guess I want to learn how to properly root automatically as well as manually - for now it seems I should start with automatic rooting. Then learn more about rooting manually with ADB - if it helps, I know how to work the ADB in the sense of taking screen shots and viewing my phone but need some more help with my specific Device and it's current firmware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones