• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Decisions, Decisions...

Which would you recommend the most?

• Droid X

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Droid 2

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Droid Incredible

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (see below)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Ask again in a month, things are changing too quickly right now.

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doniago

Android Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010
Burlington, VT
Hi all,

First time poster...I've been using a Samsung Saga (Windows Mobile) for the past two years, and I'm about to hit my VZW New Every Two on 10/20. I've been checking out Verizon's offerings, and I'm stuck in a situation where three different phones seem rather appealling, but I'm also not sure whether there might be a different, better option...or whether it would be best to not even think about it for another few weeks.

I have no experience with Android, but I can tell you the following needs/desires-

-tethering (to a Win 7 system) is required

-I -really- like physical keyboards and all of my prior phones have used them...but if getting used to a non-physical keyboard is easier than I sometimes think it would be, I could forego that for a really good phone

-I'm not extrarordinarily technically-minded, but I seem to be well above average. I'm generally able to follow instructions others have posted, but I won't be developing my own apps or anything...unless that's far easier than I imagine it to be.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts, and answers to the poll of course! Thank you all very much!

DonIago

I would say incredible but if a physical keyboard is key. Then ya.. that really narrows it down. I dont mind touch screen keyboards as they have come a long way, but you can never really beat a physical keyboard. I used to type papers up on my BB, I would never dare on my incredible.

Upvote 0
Wow. Granted it's still early, but I'm a little surprised that the Incredible has no votes and the other two phones have 2 apiece.

I still know relatively little about the phones...I know CNET likes HTC's...er...interface atop the OS...but isn't crazy about Motorola's Blur(?), and I know the D2 is the only one I listed that has a keyboard.

Is the D2 winning because it's newer and has the keyboard? (he asked somewhat rhetorically)

Thanks again to everyone who's voting and/or offering feedback, I'm pretty desperate for informed opinions on this!

Upvote 0
honestly i'd say incredible or the samsung galaxy s. i have a droid 1 and refuse to upgrade to a droid 2 or a droid x because of the locked boot loader from motorola. i love custom roms and custom kernels and being able to choose what to put on my phone. that aside i really like htc sense ui but i've said it before and i'll say it again, super amoled screen on the samsung = drool... :D

Upvote 0
With the information I have so far, I'm currently tending away from the D2. In a match solely between the DX and the Incredible, right now from what I'm reading the Incredible's UI seems preferable to the DX's. Of course, the Incredible also has a smaller screen, but that may be an asset if it makes the phone more easily portable.

Engadget's reviews were rather informative, though if people disagree with those, that would be good to know.

I'll note that thus far I'm not a huge multimedia user. I've got an iPod for music and videos never really caught on with me...or I'll watch them on my netbook. :) Email/Facebook/Twitter/phonecalls/RSS reading are among my priorities.

VZW doesn't show the Samsung Galaxy being available in my area at this time, so it may be moot, though if it is available in a few weeks we may have to revisit that.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback. I admittedly wish the poll results were more clear-cut, but perhaps that will change in time.

Upvote 0
Got to play with a friend's Droid (no X, 2 or Incredible) today. Liked the physical keyboard. Wasn't as thrilled with the virtual...my right thumb was doing alright but my left thumb had a tendency to hit the wrong key. That pushes me a little closer to the D2 I guess... OTOH, the DX is larger, which means larger, easier to hit keys, I think?

Sigh. I hate decisions like this, heh.

Upvote 0
I would wait until you at least had a chance to try the Samsung Galaxy S. (in my case, a Vibrant). I just picked it up last week, and like you, initially wanted a physical keyboard, but when I played around with the virtual keyboard using Swype technology, I was sold! :eek: It is sooooo easy to use, and you can input text so much faster once you get the hang of it.

Basically, to use Swype, you simply put your thumb (or finger if you prefer), on the keyboard, and swype it over the letters to spell your word, lift off, then start the next word. Swype automatically inserts the spaces. You don't even have to Swype exactly over the letters, as long as you're close, it will enter the correct word. If it can't decide on the correct word, it displays a pop-up with 4 options, with the top option being the defaulted selection, meaning, you can just keep on Swyping. Occasionally, you come across a word that Swype can't decipher, in which case you can manually type in the word... but I have found that 90 - 95% of the time, Swype comes up with the correct word. Now that I'm used to Swype, I can't see myself going back to a physical keyboard again on my phones....as long as Swype is on it that is.... :D

Anyway....good luck with your next phone!

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. Right now I think I'm more inclined towards a DX, though I also think I'm going to have to go to the Verizon store (5 minute drive, so no big deal) and try the virtual keyboard first to see how it works out for me...and whether the phone actually is too big for me, heh.

Currently VZW only has one Samsung Galaxy phone listed for my area as near as I can tell - the Fascinate - which hasn't received as good reviews as the Droids, so that's probably out.

Though I still have more than 20 days for another product to emerge and completely change the playing field. Kind of hope that doesn't happen.

BTW, do I -need- Mobile Broadband to tether? I've used PDANet with my current phone and been happy with it, and I'm not keen on suddenly spending another $20/month. I really don't care if it's wireless or not.

Upvote 0
I'm sort of moving towards the Droid X now, especially as it seems the UI is something I can ultimately customize myself if I need to. If it ends up being uncomfortably large the Incredible will probably take the lead.

Been doing some research into the apparent headaches involved with syncing with Outlook...not too thrilled about the lack of a user-friendly sync option. It seems as though syncing the calendar is easy enough, but anything else gets a bit more complicated. If any of the phones are specifically better at syncing, that could influence my decision.

Upvote 0
Got to check out non-working versions of the DX and Incredible. Wow, the DX really is a brick. I forgot to try out the physical buttons to see how they felt (was in a bit of a rush). I can't quite say whether or not the size would bug me. I definitely tend to keep my current phone in my pocket...not really looking to pick up a belt case if I can avoid it.

Upvote 0
Weeks later and I'm at a total loss...and today's the day.

Dinc - Best pre-intalled UI, but apparently worst battery life. No physical keyboard -and- no Swype? Nice front-screen buttons. No memory card included.

DX - Massive screen (but is that a plus or a minus?). No physical keyboard, but has Swype. Physical buttons are lame, but I could work with them. Includes a memory card. Worse pre-installed UI than the Dinc...but I'm migrating from Windows Mobile here...

R2D2 - Limited edition...but is it -too- geeky? Smaller screen that the DX, but is that good? Physical keyboard -and- Swype would seem to be a winning combo, but with Swype is a physical keyboard significant? Includes a memory card...and other accessories? Slower than the DX? Would I notice?

Opinions still desperately sought. I'll mention I sync my current phone to Outlook...if one of these is significantly easier to have up and running with Outlook (especially if it's wireless and includes tasks/notes) that could make a big difference.

Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0
Thanks Martimus (dare I call you Marty?)! I think I am -most- inclined towards the DX right now...but for the past few days every time I've leaned heavily in one direction something came up that made me second-guess myself.

I may actually need to take advantage of the 30-day exchange option this time around, which would be a pain, but beats 2 years of a phone I'm not happy about.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. I had a Fascinate and took it back about 2 weeks ago. Going back to my BB Tour is killing me. The Fascinate just didn't do it for me, even with Launcher Pro and Beautiful Widgets.

Anyway, I'm still leaning to the Dinc. I think that phone is a beast although battery life is bad, I still like the phone. But I'm holding off for the December line up. I really think the Droid Incredible HD or Desire HD will be here by then.

I do not like Moto phones at all. Motoblur is absolutely terrible. That totally eliminates the Droid 2/R2D2/Droid WE, Droid Pro, and Droid X for me. I thought about the X before I got my Fascinate. I went to the store several times but I hate the way it looks. It feels cheap, Motoblur, and I don't like the clarity of the screen. I feel like it looks like a projection screen.

If you like the Physical keyboard, then wait for the HTC Merge, Droid 2 WE and Droid Pro. The Merge will have a slower processor (800 Mghz) vs the Droid 2 WE which is apparently is around 1.3 Ghz. These are all coming Nov 11th. Again I really like Sense UI so the Merge would be cool but the Droid 2 WE sounds like its gonna be pretty fast, so a bit of Laucher Pro and Beautiful Widgets will turn Motoblur into Sense UI.

I'm just waiting for the December releases. Hopefully there will be another Droid (non-Binged) phone coming in December which they seem to release 1 per month.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones