• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Default Icons - where are they stored in Android?

If I have to keep on posting anew just to get basic answers (such as where Android Linux stores anything), then so be it I will!

I like to cherry-pick my icons when an installed theme leaves me with the same one for different functions, or I just think the stock ones look better. This is possible with my home screen app (Dxtop), but I need to know where to find them in the Android system. I actually prefer the stock icons over any available icon paks on the Market, as the 2.1+ set is much more concise and complete than what I see available there (you have the choice of separate icons for camera & camcorder, or messaging next to your voicemail, which are only available from the stock set).

The problem is that DxTop can find only the installed icon paks, go to the Market to find more, or call up Astro so that I can search for icons in my system - it has no clue where my stock icons are. Cannot imagine why Android makes it so difficult to use it's default icons, but I want to use them as needed. Can they even be viewed where they are stored on an un-rooted phone? If not, where would they be seen if my phone was rooted?

They are mostly stored within the apk files for the apps but you can find a bunch in com.htc.resources.apk

Look through the files in the /system/app/ and /system/framework/ folders

If you move them to your PC you can open them with 7zip and extract the res folder and look at the graphics in them

Thanks!

I found the icons I wanted under /system/apps. Unfortunately, the system won't let me use these, which is probably because I don't have root. I spent the past week recovering from a hard reset just because HTC couldn't make Froyo work any other way, and it has me fried, so guess I'll just have to wait until I again feel ready for risk, loss of warrantee (for what that's worth), and starting over.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones