• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Defective Moment, but Sprint can't replace it. What to do?

So my Moment has been having problems for months. They did resets, then sent me a new one, then did more resets, and more service, and this and that and it still is having problems. They can't send me another moment since they don't have any to give me.

My warranty is up on December 17th through Samsung. The current handset has a warranty from Spring until December 9th. Sprint can't give me another moment, but Samsung might be able to. The problem is, by the time I would get it from Samsung (miminum 2 week wait time), the warranty would be out. If there is a problem with the replacement phone (the replacement they sent me had issues from day one and had to be brought in for repair), it wouldn't be under warranty and I'd be screwed.

They said that I had 2 other options, go to the intercept or the Hero. The Hero has no keyboard, and its screen isn't big enough for me to be willing to give up the keyboard (Whereas the EVO has a huge on screen keyboard that I could use). The Intercept has a smaller screen with bad resolution and its not an AMOLED screen.

Needless to say, I don't want either. It seems to me like the Transform is the replacement for the Moment, but after working as high as I could get through Sprint's customer care (supervisors of specialized departments for this issue) they couldn't offer me anything else.

They reset my moment, and while I was on the phone with Sprint Customer Care (Still in the store, less than 20 minutes after they "repaired it") it froze and reset itself! Honestly, I'm tired of spending hours on end working with Sprint trying to get a phone that works.

They can't give me a working moment. They can't offer a comparable phone.

Has anybody else had this problem? What have you done?

I miss verizon...

I was exactly in your shoes just a month ago. I went with the Hero, after fighting with Sprint about why neither the Hero nor the Intercept are "comparable" replacements. You're right, the Transform would be the best choice, but they consider it an upgrade, which is complete crap.

For what its worth, I love the Hero. The HTC Sense interface is awesome, the touch screen is WAY more responsive than the Moment, and the camera takes great 5 megapixel pictures (in decent light, of course). And the Hero can handle 3D graphics better. Kinda. It plays Raging Thunder just fine, where the Moment couldn't. But the Moment plays Angry Birds just fine, whereas the Hero doesn't do so well. Of course, the Moment had more processing juice, and the Hero can lag a bit more, but I'm seriously done with Samsung phones after my wife went with the Intercept. I put it in this perspective - her phone is supposed to be more power as well, and its more than half a year newer than the Hero, but the Hero doesn't freeze up or force close like hers does - on a daily basis. Do NOT go with the Intercept.

I thought I'd miss the keyboard too, and I thought I couldn't go back to a virtual keyboard, but the Sense keyboard works great. Word prediction and auto correction makes even bumbling typing come out well. Not only do I consider the keyboard superior to stock Android, but I also think the Sense music player (similar to the iPod's Coverflow), calendar, email client, and widgets are better than stock too. You can also save custom 7-screen layouts for whatever purpose you can think of. Its highly customizable right out of the box, without having to download specific apps or widgets.

Also, I didn't realize how much I was missing out on without multi-touch and pinch-to-zoom, which just about every phone these days BUT the Moment seems to have, including the Hero.

And the battery is a little more powerful, 1500 mA vs. the Moment's 1440 mA. I also like the little LED indicator that lets you know either the phone is charging, is fully charged, or blinks when you have notifications. PLUS, the charging port is mini-usb, as opposed to the slightly more rare micro-usb Moment.

AND, if you're into rooting, the Hero can be safely overclocked and there is a good amount of custom ROMs available that boost performance.

Just my opinion. But I understand your predicament. I wouldn't pick the Hero as a new phone, but for something I didn't pay a dime for, I really like it better than what it replaced.

Upvote 0
ARGGGHHH. So the replacement has been working great... until a few days ago. It just turned off without warning. It didnt power down, it just went to sleep and then when i tried to wake it up, it wouldnt go. I had to pull the battery and restart. It happened again, and again just now. Honestly, this is pissing me off to no end. Time to call sprint, and fight for 3 more hours. This phone is the biggest piece of S**t I've ever had. It's times like these that make me miss my env2 from verizon...

Upvote 0
@JSA2593 -

I feel you on your problems. I wish you the best of luck when talking to a Sprint CSR. I spent over 6 hours and going to 4 different locations and I am still stuck with my Moment. We shall name it Moment #5.

It's going on a couple months now and I'm having similiar issues like the phone turning off and not turning on without battery pull. My charging port isn't working right, etc.. What crap! Lucky for me I have a couple weeks longer of dealing with this then its off for my Evo upgrade. No more SAMSUNG for me. Good Luck to you!

Upvote 0
Forget calling Sprint again, it will do nothing, this is what I did. File an FCC complaint https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000D

It took about 2 months, but I got a call from someone at corporate, he waved the 3 months for my upgrade to become available and got my wife an EVO Shift 4g. I was literally on the phone for about 5 minutes and it was all said and done. I did pay the upgrade fee, although I think that if I pushed I probably could have got the phone for free. The guy I talked to was very nice and didn't question me nor give me any grief. It's stupid that it has to come to an FCC complaint, but it worked.

In the complaint all I put was that the phone was constantly switching off and locking up which was making it impossible to make emergency calls had they been needed.

Reactions: indychic
Upvote 0
@wardfan - I WISH I knew about this a couple months ago. I seriously had issues with Sprint when they wanted to replace my Moment with a Intercept. I wanted them to push my upgrade date up or give me a comparable phone. I tried everything and they would not budge. I've had 5 refurbs and each of them have had different issues. Congrats on the Shift. I will be picking up my new Evo tomorrow because I am eligible for my upgrade FINALLY! =)

Upvote 0
Yeah it sucks that you had to wait for your upgrade, but congrats on the new phone at least.

I actually had read a topic here somewhere where someone suggested filing an FCC complaint in order to get a lawsuit going. Not sure how the lawsuit idea is going, my guess is it's not, but that post is what suggested filing the complaint and therefore lead to the new phone for my wife, glad I read it :p. I've been trying to get this out there so that others can work on getting rid of the Moment, it's a PoS and hopefully we can help others get theirs replaced.

Upvote 0
I had a Rumor2 yuck that I finally replaced with the Samsung Transform after getting to my upgrade date in November 2010 after 5 replacements on the Rumor2 where they refused to do anything but keep switching them out over and over. Well, the Transform should eventually have Android 2.2 enabling me to use my bluetooth speaker system in my car. However, Maryland law where I live makes it against the law to use a handheld cell while driving. I had bought the phone only November 27, 2010. So after spending hours speaking to Customer Service, CS Manager, CS Manager's Supervisor, Tech Support and being told there was nothing they could do for me regarding the bluetooth issue I requested to speak to someone in the cancellation department. They could NOT give me a new phone but what they did for me was remove my cancellation fees if I get a new phone/line and I can still keep my current number. They are going to switch the Transform to the new line, the new phone to my current line and NOT CHARGE ANY FEES FOR SWITCHING! NO CANCELLATION FEES! Basically I can upgrade tomorrow without paying anything except for the price of the phone for a new line. That being said had it not been for MD law I LOVE MY TRANSFORM. Once the upgrade to Froyo is available I am right back to the Transform!!! For now debating on Intercept which now has 2.2 or just doing a full upgrade to the Evo Shift. Any Recommendations???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones