• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delay in displaying Address Book entries

1,064. It's probably the merging upon display, though it's beyond me how this can be happening when I have both Wifi and Mobile Network turned off. Also, this happens with ALL entries, not only those which are linked to another.
Its probably just the sheer volume of contacts. Remember that WiFi and Mobile Data usage would have no effect on this, it is done locally. I have about 160 contacts and the delay is barely noticeable, but is definitely there.

Upvote 0
Then it's just awful design. I had a similar number of contacts in my old Palm Treo, which had no such problem. On the Rezound, it seems like everything is slow to react. It is the first "upgrade" in technology I have ever experienced where I am really missing my old system.
Then you never went from Windows 98 to ME, or from Windows XP to Vista. :D

Seriously though, if this seems like a big issue to you (which is all that really matters) then make sure your contacts are backed up to Google/Exchange or other source, backup any other essential information, and factory default and restore contacts with no apps installed, if it is still slow as a dog, it's design, if it is much quicker, it's something that was in the phone.

Upvote 0
Finally fixed it. The only way was to remove Facebook as an active account. Even turning off Facebook synching and turning off all integration options did not do it.

But I am really disappointed in Android. Having to download contact information from the Internet every time one opens a contact is very poor design. If the information were actually synched to the local contact at regular intervals (as it claims to do) it would work better.

Upvote 0
Finally fixed it. The only way was to remove Facebook as an active account. Even turning off Facebook synching and turning off all integration options did not do it.

But I am really disappointed in Android. Having to download contact information from the Internet every time one opens a contact is very poor design. If the information were actually synched to the local contact at regular intervals (as it claims to do) it would work better.
It is not doing that... I don't think you understand how the contacts work, they are stored locally on the device and synced at intervals exactly as you wish it did. I am not sure how the FB app interacts with that, but I use it regularly and have not seen the issues you describe. Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

Upvote 0
I spoke too soon. The delay is still there, even with those contacts from which I have removed the Facebook information. SOMETHING is causing a two second delay here. There is no reason the information should show up once, then be reshuffled and added to. In fact, I could live with a two second delay, if it waited to display instead of displaying once, then changing the fields. I guess it is possible some third party app is monkeying with it.

Upvote 0
I wish I knew what was messing with your contacts. I just can't think it's anything syncing with your contacts. If that were true, we'd all be bitching and moaning. I've never experienced your problem and I have not heard about it either. I would think a factory reset would clear your problem. I understand that is a hassle but something is not right and I have no other recommendation.

I've had to rest my Rez after the major OTAs. Not only does it set things right but seems to generally speed up the phone.

Upvote 0
Actually, with respect to downgrading, I was thinking more in terms of hardware. New hardware *should* be faster and more responsive than old hardware, but my Rezound, while pretty, is beset by delays throughout. That's the main reason I was hoping we would get Jelly Bean: it's supposedly been optimized for speed and responsiveness.

In the short term, I've installed GO Contacts EX, which does not suffer from the lag the native Contacts app does.

Upvote 0
Actually, with respect to downgrading, I was thinking more in terms of hardware. New hardware *should* be faster and more responsive than old hardware, but my Rezound, while pretty, is beset by delays throughout. That's the main reason I was hoping we would get Jelly Bean: it's supposedly been optimized for speed and responsiveness.

In the short term, I've installed GO Contacts EX, which does not suffer from the lag the native Contacts app does.
Hmnmm... lag and delays have never been an issue on my Rezound (and I have two, a personal and a work one), I can compare it to several phones (Casio Commando, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Incredible 2, Droid Bionic, Motorola Razr, Droid 3) and compared to any of those it is extremely snappy and responsive. I would strongly recommend a factory default and try again, especially if you haven't done it with any of the OTA upgrades over the last year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones