• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Delete Bloatware...No idea what I am doing

Hi there!

My Boyfriend and I spent much of yesterday afternoon trying to root his phone and things. Finally got to where I think he has to delete metro pcs "bloatware" ...in order to get past the metro pcs site? Is that right? I have no idea what bloatware means, or what root means, or what superuser and titanium backup are or do. He has downloaded them both, but then what is he supposed to do with them? I have read most of this thread, and still can't wrap my head around this last step. I can't believe all of you folks seem to know what the heck all of this stuff means. We only got this far by following the directions and doing the steps over and over.
If anyone is willing to explain to us cave dwellers, it would be so appreciated.
TY!

Go to the Market (Play Store), download an app called Root Uninstaller. Use it to uninstall the junk lol.

bloatware
Software with unnecessary bells and whistles (often poorly written) that consumes vast amounts of disk space and random access memory.

Rooting is a process allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem.

Superuser is the first app a user should install after rooting, if the rooting method didn't do it already. "Rooting" a phone allows a user to establish total control over the device, but Superuser is the app that provides the button for that control. With Superuser installed, any app that needs root privileges to run will have to ask permission, and an informative pop-up will display with the option to give it those privileges.

Reactions: heatherin951
Upvote 0
Thank You! BTW...I did not mean to start a whole new thread. Duhhhhh... sorry. Can you possibly be specific about what junk to uninstall? Will it prompt to do the uninstalls or do you have to go do them and then go back to where the metro site was?

Safely removable bloatware. In other words metro apps u dont ned because its uneeded, takes up memory and runs in the background. Use titanium backup to unistall bloat and for most it will reboot after each one you unistall dont panic.
http://androidforums.com/admire-all-things-root/412650-safely-removeable-bloatware.html

Upvote 0
You're welcome. It's ok, you are supposed to start a thread lol. If you are using Root Uninstaller, after it shows a list of installed apps, click on a name that you have identified as bloatware, then click uninstall.

I haven't got any Metro stuff so don't know for sure, but after uninstalling it, you might need to go to the menu for the browser, and set whatever home page you want.

Upvote 0
Safely removable bloatware. In other words metro apps u dont ned because its uneeded, takes up memory and runs in the background. Use titanium backup to unistall bloat and for most it will reboot after each one you unistall dont panic.
http://androidforums.com/admire-all-things-root/412650-safely-removeable-bloatware.html

Is there a guide that shows all apps safe to remove to get most memory?

2 posts above you.:thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones