• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delete Contact App Sync Data From Remote Server

tl;dr I want to make sure that someone capable of forcing a device reset, or who has access to my SIM card cannot retrieve my contact data.

Long version:

So I manually backed up my contacts and chose the option to Sync Contacts, assuming it would store on my Google account. I had manually disabled the broad spectrum cloud backup when I was incredulous to find out it had cached my wireless password and desktop picture cloud-side.

So after I reset my device, it asks if I want to sync contacts BEFORE I LOGGED INTO ANY ACCOUNTS! So my contacts are back.

Great - I wanted my contacts. Now I have disabled the option to Sync contacts, but I got no notification that the data was deleted on the remote server. I guess it authenticated using my SIM card, or phone number??? But I'm not comfortable with this since I don't know the protocol, or if that is spoofable, or vulnerable to MITM attacks or even what server it is hosted on. How do I ensure my contact data is deleted from whatever nebulous location it was sent to?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones