• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire Firmware OTA Update

Has anyone on here with a unbranded/unlocked desire on the vodafone network done this update?

Don't want to do it and find that the update adds loads vodafone apps/settings that I didn't have before.

Same here, although I thought all phones on Vodafone was unlocked/unbranded??

I got mine from CPW. Does it mean if you bought the phone direct or in a Vodafone store, they are branded (vodafone logo, startup screen etc).

I've had my phone for over a month now but still have not seen anyone with a HTC desire!! They selling like hotcakes but where are they??

Upvote 0
Same here, although I thought all phones on Vodafone was unlocked/unbranded??

I got mine from CPW. Does it mean if you bought the phone direct or in a Vodafone store, they are branded (vodafone logo, startup screen etc).

I've had my phone for over a month now but still have not seen anyone with a HTC desire!! They selling like hotcakes but where are they??

I got mine online, I just wondered if there were any guys/gals just using a Vodafone SIM...?

Upvote 0
I've just done the manual update as described above by weirdNumber.

My phone came direct from a Vodafone store and was unlocked & unbranded. The update worked fine and no Vodafone branding has been added that I can see. I can't be sure about the reception loss/reconnection issue being improved yet, but I can confirm that it has fixed my Facebook/contacts issue.

Thankfully all my data appears to have made it through the update unscathed, infact the only undesired change I have noticed so far is that it changed my wallpaper to a 'Vodafone red' wavy pattern instead of my live wallpaper.

Upvote 0
My phone came direct from a Vodafone store and was unlocked & unbranded. The update worked fine and no Vodafone branding has been added that I can see. I can't be sure about the reception loss/reconnection issue being improved yet, but I can confirm that it has fixed my Facebook/contacts issue.

That's just how I got mine. Good to know that it doesn't add anything and that the FB issue is now fixed.

Will be doing the manual upgrade as soon as I get home :D

Upvote 0
Could have been other issues, like the telstra (sp?) ROM with GPS issues in Austrailia which had an update recently, into which HTC also added the facebook fix and a few other tweaks the rest of us got in the update we had mid April.

An update is due soon with several fixes, which sim-free should get them first.

Upvote 0
has anyone got this to apply to a desire running release 1.15.405.4? It's on vodafone but I suspect it's an unbranded handset (from CPW). Any idea if there will be an update for generic versions?

I'd like to know the same thing. I've had a few niggly connection problems with my Desire, most notably this morning when it refused to get a signal until I'd rebooted the phone.

The new update seems to address this and I'd like to apply it if possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones