• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First review.

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2011
Oakland
NOTE: There will probably be a lot more detailed and glitzy review features than you will find here on my humble page. I am just doing this for posterity, since when I was an android newbie, this place was where where I got my start in understanding android devices and features. Thanks!

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2.

NOTE: My phone shipped with MiUi Global 9.1 stable. ROM 9.1.2.0 (NDEMIEI)
If you are a "Flooter" (A part of the flash n' root crowd) you might want to make sure your edition comes with this latest global ROM, as some phones ship without it, forcing you to go through a fastboot app and a couple of others hoops before rendering it fully rootable.

The phone itself is a really nice tactile experience, even when the inexpensive plastic case that comes with it is on it. Even after seeing several reviews I'm still impressed by the bezeless surface, and the back ceramic back and edges just feel very luxurious to my hand.

Feature wise, since I have not taken the Sim chip out of my old phone and started using this one as an actual daily driver yet, I was impressed by the speed right out of the gate, which is no surprise, since I'm getting a 3 GB bump up from my Motorola Moto X pure, which only had 3 GB of RAM. The phone is speedy and responsive like a Ferrari. On the other hand I could be waxing poetic because this is probably the first phone of this kind that I have purchased or held frame the time. Regardless, it rocks.

One of my big concerns and I got this phone was things I had read on the Internet about bloatware. Strangely enough I cannot seem to find any bloatware on this model, however I will continue to search for it. This could save me quite a bit of time, or a couple of hours at least, and it might mean that I do not have to go to XDA developers forum, for walk-through in the latest ODIN panel, and flashing kernels and roOting madness. Stay tuned.

I have found the default interface which they are calling infinity or something easy to work with, since I instantly threw it out and imported the settings from my old phone using nova launcher backup.

Also Google is pitching a great game, automatically importing all of my old passwords, and helping me turn my phone into a greater, quicker, cooler version of my old phone.
One of my only reservations, is at the wake up phrase "Okay Google", is not something I want to have to sail the long. On my old phone I programmed a custom phrase into it, and I read a few rumors that Google might provide a workaround and allow us to program our own voice activation phrases into android devices running the later versions of their platform.

That said, Google assistant is blazing fast when I want to take a picture. On some older phone models if I had a hands-free operation and hold the phone to take a photograph I didn't have to do anything else, this version unfortunately, opens and forces me to touch the screen, and I really like being able to take a picture without touching the screen while the phone was mounted in my car while I was at work.

My only reservationS so far, are that the phone is so thin, and the back is so smooth, that it does in fact make the phone a little slippery and something of a fingerprint magnet which is apropos a since that is precisely where the fingerprint sensor is. However, the plastic case is also something you barely notice that it's on the phone, and basically I'll use it 24 seven and then take it off when me and my phone are alone for more intimate moments. Another is, the fact that I have to use an adapter (it came in the box) to plug my charger into an American power outlet. I am hoping that these charges are not so proprietary that I can't just buy a few QUALCOMM turbochargers and have that be okay for this phone I'm looking into it as I type this.

All in all, this is a really high-quality, fast, streamlined user experience, and I haven't even really hacked that it's a little bit yet, which I will, and share it with you if you're interested, in later reports.
As always, I have the tip my hat To XDA developers forum, and the many developers there who really go under the hood into machinery these phones and break it down so that regular guys like me can understand it. I suggest you visit https://forum.xda-developers.com

Please feel free to ask any questions

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones