• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire phone keeps restarting?

Yeah, mine started turning off itself, then rebooting and getting hanged and this all has been happening quite frequently. I called HTC and they advised me to reset it to factory settings, I did that but problem still remains; so, now HTC has arranged a pick-up service to take mobile from me and they will take it to their technical support. Let's see what they come up with.

I did install 'automatic task killer', and some other apps like 'App remover' and this all problem started after them.

Upvote 0
I had this problem soon after I got my Desire.
It would suddenly reboot. No sooner had it rebooted it would reboot again. Only removing the battery would stop it.
Fortunately it was still under 14-days old and I was able to send it back for a new replacement.
This Desire has been behaving itself now for about 5-weeks or so.

Upvote 0
mine wont switch on properly at all now :(

restarts a few times then does nothing.

if i do a hard reset, what will i lose?

Exactly the same situation with mine. Called HTC and they asked me to reset the factory settings but it didn't solve the problem. So, called them again and now they have arranged to pick up the phone today in the morning and they will take to their technical department to fix it. Let's see what happens.

If you search this forum, you will find that this problem seems to be a norm. So many people are facing this. HTC has real quality problem, I suppose.

Upvote 0
wow that's not good at all.

should i contact HTC directly then rather than orange?

you got any contact details?

cheers

If you are still within 28 days or whatever they are, offered by Orange, you should immediately contact Orange. If it has already expired then contact HTC. Their no is +44 (0) 1753218960.

One more thing, do create a back up. I personally don't know how to do that, but google it and I am sure you will find the situation.

Upvote 0
I see you all have A.T.K's installed... People never learn do they, this problem arises from people killing core system processses, and so when killed the phone has no choice but to restart, restart results in ATK re-killing the process so restarts...

It has been said over and over and over again that task killers are NOT needed for android...

Maybe a sticky is required?

Upvote 0
I've been tearing my hair out with this problem for the last couple of weeks, it is so random, I could be sending a text, reading a book, or just speaking to someone and the handset just switches off by itself and reboots. The problem is over the last weekend it has started doing it over and over again for about an hour without me even touching it, I just sit there and watch it doing it! I have tried everything, taking the battery and sim card out and leaving it for an hour. Trouble is it is so random and works fine for a couple of hours or so and then wham it does it again. I am heartily sick of this phone; I went back to T-Mobile yet again! and they gave me a replacement battery to see if that made a difference, in other words they haven't got a clue either. We'll see what happens this time but one thing is for sure if it isn't right this time I won't be buying another HTC mobile or recommending it to anybody ever!

Upvote 0
I've been tearing my hair out with this problem for the last couple of weeks, it is so random, I could be sending a text, reading a book, or just speaking to someone and the handset just switches off by itself and reboots. The problem is over the last weekend it has started doing it over and over again for about an hour without me even touching it, I just sit there and watch it doing it! I have tried everything, taking the battery and sim card out and leaving it for an hour. Trouble is it is so random and works fine for a couple of hours or so and then wham it does it again. I am heartily sick of this phone; I went back to T-Mobile yet again! and they gave me a replacement battery to see if that made a difference, in other words they haven't got a clue either. We'll see what happens this time but one thing is for sure if it isn't right this time I won't be buying another HTC mobile or recommending it to anybody ever!

It's most probably due to installation of some kind of "Task Killer" app, or apps like this. You have to send it back to HTC. So I experienced and got so frustrated. Then I phoned HTC and they arranged to collect phone from me; they took it back and returned to me after fixing. It works perfect now.

Upvote 0
It's most probably due to installation of some kind of "Task Killer" app, or apps like this. You have to send it back to HTC. So I experienced and got so frustrated. Then I phoned HTC and they arranged to collect phone from me; they took it back and returned to me after fixing. It works perfect now.

It's probably not. As someone else mentioned, it's likely due to a motherboard fault. My Desire has been sent in for repair (for this issue), and had the motherboard replaced. Sadly, it still does it, even before I've had a chance to install any apps. I've been on to Vodafone, and they're offering me any phone I want as a replacement (by way of compensation). Dunno if I can trust the Desire again, especially after so many other people have had similar problems. Dunno what to do now... :thinking:

Upvote 0
hi guys/girls,

I have mine 4 days now and it sometimes rebooted or is just not responding anymore, if you touch the screen on the right side the left menu button is pressed like it is not synchronized anymore. also upon replying to a text message sometimes i can put my finger 1 cm above the screen and it starts following my finger and writing all kinds of unwanted letters. Like I have elec. in my fingers.. also some of the screens just start to flicker up and down and then only thing stopping it is putting it into standby.

anybody had this/ I am thinking about having it replaced while I can.

Upvote 0
hi guys/girls,

I have mine 4 days now and it sometimes rebooted or is just not responding anymore, if you touch the screen on the right side the left menu button is pressed like it is not synchronized anymore. also upon replying to a text message sometimes i can put my finger 1 cm above the screen and it starts following my finger and writing all kinds of unwanted letters. Like I have elec. in my fingers.. also some of the screens just start to flicker up and down and then only thing stopping it is putting it into standby.

anybody had this/ I am thinking about having it replaced while I can.
Is you screen 100% clean?

Reactions: chips
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones