• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3 Phone Call Problems, Same Cause?

Heat84

Mar 12, 2018
So I'm having a few phone call related problems and don't know if they have the same cause.

1. When I call somebody, the sound cuts out while its ringing until the otherside answers.

2. When I use WIFI calling, the other person has problems hearing me, while I hear them just fine.

3. Visual voicemail isn't working anymore.

My phone is a Motorola Edge 2020 regular. The OS is LineageOS 20 which has an Android 13 foundation. The phone is rooted.

VOLTE or lack thereof could be the issue, but I can't tell if it's being used. When I go into the hidden settings by pasting *#*#4636#*#* into a phone app, it shows what you see in the picture. The VOLTE switch is in the ON position but its grayed out. I interpret that to mean that VOLTE is enabled but its not disable-able(at least with the switch), but I don't know for sure.

So I'm having a few phone call related problems and don't know if they have the same cause.

1. When I call somebody, the sound cuts out while its ringing until the otherside answers.

2. When I use WIFI calling, the other person has problems hearing me, while I hear them just fine.

3. Visual voicemail isn't working anymore.

My phone is a Motorola Edge 2020 regular. The OS is LineageOS 20 which has an Android 13 foundation. The phone is rooted.

VOLTE or lack thereof could be the issue, but I can't tell if it's being used. When I go into the hidden settings by pasting *#*#4636#*#* into a phone app, it shows what you see in the picture. The VOLTE switch is in the ON position but its grayed out. I interpret that to mean that VOLTE is enabled but its not disable-able(at least with the switch), but I don't know for sure.
was this always like this when you first flashed lineage os? or all of a sudden? do you have a nandroid backup of when everything was working?

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731-143636_Phone Services.png
    Screenshot_20230731-143636_Phone Services.png
    369.4 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
was this always like this when you first flashed lineage os? or all of a sudden? do you have a nandroid backup of when everything was working?
I don't think all the problems started at the same time. I have a back-up but not a Nandroid backup. I've been using LineageOS since 17.1. These problems didn't happen until 19.1 or 20.

Upvote 0
Where did you obtain the LineageOS 20 ROM that you flashed into your Moto Edge 2020? Can you post the link?

Are you sure the ROM you used was for specifically for your model? If so, are there are references to any issues with that version's cellular radio support?
Its specifically for my model. I download it from the official website or through the OS updater. LineageOS Downloads

Upvote 0
I don't think all the problems started at the same time. I have a back-up but not a Nandroid backup. I've been using LineageOS since 17.1. These problems didn't happen until 19.1 or 20.
This is significant, since various problems started popping up through different LineageOS versions, that essentially rules out the firmware as the problem. That leaves either a phone hardware issue (i.e. cellular radio chip is failing) or a SIM card issue. Hopefully it's not a phone problem and it's due to the SIM card.
Have you contacted your carrier and requested a new SIM card? Have you been using the same SIM going back to when you were running 19.1?
Have you tried to just re-seat the SIM card in its tray?
Or go to your carrier's website, find their recommended APN settings, and try making a new APN entry using those those settings verbatim.

Upvote 0
do you have a customer recovery? if so which one? you should be making a habit of doing a nandroid backup. and copying and saving those backups on to your computer.

have you tried an older version and see if it is still happening? when you flashed the newer lineage os did you wipe properly? wiping data, cache and dalvik cache?

Upvote 0
I put the SIM card in another phone and everything worked. And I put the one from that phone in mine and it didn't work. So the problem is my phone. And now nothing is working.

Most of the responses I've gotten in here are basic troubleshooting measures or catch-all fixes(which I appreciate). I was hoping someone would've been able to see clues in my posts that would've told them them the specific cause.

Is there a log anywhere that can tell me anything? I know how to view Android logs with logcat, but everything is in 1 log and you have to be a programmer to understand what most of the information means and its hard to know whats pertinent and whats not to the issue your having.

Although, I do have a mysterious bug report. Over the last few days I got a "WifiNative Failure" error in the notification bar a few times, and it left a bug report. Maybe that has something to do with my problem? I'll attach the bug report. Why doesn't the internet know anything about Wifi Native failure? And is this a LineageOS error or an Android error?

Attachments

• bugreport-racer_retail-TQ3A.230705.001-2023-07-28-05-59-30.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
.....Most of the responses I've gotten in here are basic troubleshooting measures or catch-all fixes(which I appreciate). I was hoping someone would've been able to see clues in my posts that would've told them them the specific cause.....

Totally understand. I think you would need a Lineage expert to look through the log. XDA would be the place to check out for that.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones