• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
anyone know of a way to stop the desk clock app from disappearing once the screen time-outs?

my screen i currently set to time-out after 1 minute which ideally i don't want to change. however, what i'd like is for the desk clock to display when my phone is on my bedside table during the night. at the moment i lose the clock as soon as 1 minute has passed which seems to make this app quite pointless

ive tried using an app called 'keep screen' but found this to be a little annoying

I have my Desire set to keep the screen on when charging so the desk clock can be on all night, and my phone is always well and truly charged in the morning. It's not an ideal situation I know, but at least you never forget to charge your phone.

BTW, I don't know if OLED screens suffer burn-in - anyone got any knowledge? It's not relevant here as Desk Clock moves the time like a screen saver but it would be nice to know.

Upvote 0
Mine stays on, but it could be because I use Screebl which allows for certain orientations to stay on. I LOVE IT because it turns off only when I put it down (flat 0 degrees). When I sleep, I place it in a cardholder to act as a clock.

The only odd thing is that there seems to be a "top" and "bottom" orientation to the phone. Top in portrait is obviously earpiece to microphone. Top in landscape is volume buttons facing down... which just seems counter-intuitive if you want to use the volume buttons as a snooze button.

Tim

Upvote 0
I think you need to hit the " night bed side clock " one

unfortunately this has the same problem and the screen still time-outs

the clock still displays even if you have time-out enabled if the handset is charging, but as far as i can see there's no way of doing this without the phone charging unless you install a 3rd party app. annoying!

Upvote 0
This is weird....I've just bought a Desire and the Desktop Clock stays on all night - regardless!!

It's so cool, I was saying to the 'Mrs' that i was going to replace my bedside alarm clock, with a cradle/charger when it comes....

I've done absolutely zilch since I've had it, to 'make' it stay on all night though....maybe it's a firmware version fix as I've got a newer one!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Toadstool and others, Desk Clock WILL stay on, but ONLY if the phone is connected to the a charger or charging from a PC. HTC realise the battery will be drained otherwise, hence why it doesn't work if not on charge.

Also, make sure you press the small button with the moon crescent and star, or the one with a picture of a PC. The PC one is brighter, so only meant to be used when connected by USB cable to a PC.

Kaloer Clock is good, but it worries me that the clock doesn't move, and might cause an image to be burnt into the screen after many hours of use.

Regards
Gary

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones