• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Developer's Team

Does anybody have Linux or are running Sun Virtualbox to compile the drivers for the processor into the new version of Android? I have virtual Debian running to do little tweaks to roms for Linux based phones.

Maybe there is a shortcut, for example, any upgrade to 2.1 or higher from 1.6 for a phone with similar specs to the Devour might work. If not, you will have to find the drivers from other roms/upgrades first for each piece of hardware and bring them together into one rom before the new Android rom will work.

You might try any upgrades for phones that have the MSM7627 chipset. I hear that the palm pixi uses the same processor as the Devour so people looking replace their webos with Android on those phones might be helpful as well. Just imagine the hype of $45 Android phone running froyo.

There is probably a small hardware check for upgrades but should be a lot easier to hack than a full rom decompile and rebuild, especially if the hardware is similar. I would think Android would at least run just as long as the processor is right. The phone type may even only be checked before the download by the cell provider upgrade software, so once the upgrade files have been downloaded to the memory of a similar phone, if you could grab the upgrade files off and put them onto the Devour and kick it off manually then that would seem to be the first place to start.

Lots of phones with the MSM7627 chipset run higher versions of Android so upgrades should be pretty easy to find out there in torrents and upload sites.

I was just looking for a cheap Android 2.1 or higher phone and saw the A555 for $99. I don't get it though, if Android is free, it seems like a compile for every phone with correct drivers would just be out there. If I was doing this everyday it would take maybe all of 5 minutes to build a ROM for these phones.

I guess Google has finally given into the corporate hole and that's why there are no upgrades for any cheap phone models. This will doom the OS just like all the other past mobile OS's. Nobody wants to ever buy anything anymore because nothing cheap ever runs the latest apps and you can't get upgrades, so you flip flop with providers and brands into a Cache 22 where everyone is so confused that they all think they win but in fact loses because we never actually decide to stay with anything good.

The entire point of the OS was that it was free and had tons of apps, take those both away the Android OS becomes the worst of all the mobile OS's. That's basically what has happened. I mean hey, if want to run Windows 7 on my 1.2Ghz with 512MB of RAM I can, and it works, just slowly, but if I want to run a free OS Android on my phone that is still under contract but I can't and it won't be provided ever, then that is a big FAIL!

Upvote 0
Google does what they do in this case, which is build the mobile OS, and it is still free and still open source (though some of the stock apps are closed source). Google then releases the OS to Android phone manufacturers and their partners (in the case of the Devour, Verizon). And that's where things get ugly.

The main problem we're having isn't exactly trying to find or make a ROM. The problem we have is the Devour's locked bootloader (courtesy of Motorola) and the fact that all workarounds for a locked bootloader are for the Droid X or other phones (thanks to the lack of a strong customer base), and those phones usually run Froyo or later (thanks to Verizon, we don't even have that).

The whole thing is a mess and VZW/Motorola have swept the whole Devour thing under the rug, like they barely want to acknowledge the phone ever existed. It's too bad, because besided it's software and crappy camera it's a solid phone. We finally got a rooting process after five months, then nothing else. At least we have THAT I guess.

Upvote 0
use adb to change build.prop to stock

I noticed this problem, it happens, because Superuser app checks API version during every run, and there are two different versions of this app for 1.6 and for 2.1+.
But when we change build.prop the 1.6 su app, that installed on phone recognized device as 2.1 and it tries to use 2.1 instructions on 1.6 system... and we get app crash as a result.

I said about that problem in my first post with instructions for Installation of bootstraper.

P.S. IF WE WANT THE BOOTSTRAPER APP TO WORK - WE NEED ALTERNATIVE WAY TO GIVE IT SUPERUSER PERMISSIONS

Upvote 0
use adb to change build.prop to stock

I noticed this problem, it happens, because Superuser app checks API version during every run, and there are two different versions of this app for 1.6 and for 2.1+.
But when we change build.prop the 1.6 su app, that installed on phone recognized device as 2.1 and it tries to use 2.1 instructions on 1.6 system... and we get app crash as a result.

I said about that problem in my first post with instructions for Installation of bootstraper.

P.S. IF WE WANT THE BOOTSTRAPER APP TO WORK - WE NEED ALTERNATIVE WAY TO GIVE IT SUPERUSER PERMISSIONS

this seems like a primitive question but how do i get and use adb in this SPECIFIC senario?
(specific instructions please)

Thanks...you guys have been a HUGE...and i mean HUGE help.

Moto
:cool:

Upvote 0
this seems like a primitive question but how do i get and use adb in this SPECIFIC senario?
(specific instructions please)

Thanks...you guys have been a HUGE...and i mean HUGE help.

Moto

download and install Android SDK on your PC
then in cmd on PC

adb pull /system/build.prop
edit it on PC

adb push "edited file" /system

Upvote 0
Using ADB is one of the most important things for attaining root. How can you not have it if you have SuperUser permissions?

Unless you used some kind of instant root app, I guess… That's the problem with using those kinds of things. Anyways, once you install Android SDK and ADB, don't uninstall it, it's almost certain to come in handy for modifying files on the phone once things get rolling with this.

Upvote 0
Using ADB is one of the most important things for attaining root. How can you not have it if you have SuperUser permissions?

Unless you used some kind of instant root app, I guess… That's the problem with using those kinds of things. Anyways, once you install Android SDK and ADB, don't uninstall it, it's almost certain to come in handy for modifying files on the phone once things get rolling with this.

one click root...specifically Universal Androot.

Ill give this android SDK a shot...(i may want to live with it 'as is' until we come up with a solution because of the few extra perks of being "2.1")

Moto

Upvote 0
i changed bootstrap apk... installed it on my devour(apk version in build.prop 4)

reboot recovery button just reboots phone normally

here is apk
UploadBox :: Downloading signed12345.apk

working with Defy bootstraper.. maybe it will work

tried defy's... same story as droidx's

does toe bootstrap now work on the old build.prop?

Moto

Reactions: pqq7755
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones