• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dialing Delay

A bit late, but in another thread someplace else, it was suggested to update the PRL and Profile. I updated just the PRL and all of a sudden there was no delay. Yes, it's possible it was a coincidence, but I got a 20-sec delay every time just now, and I updated the PRL and for several times there was no delay. Worth a try.
Settings | About Phone | System Updates | Update PRL

Oh, I see, you have a different phone type, but it might work anyway. Mine is a Moto Photon MB855 running Android 2.3.5 and not rooted.

Upvote 0
The PRL is like "DNS" in the computer world. If the phone knows "where to call first to get a server" right off from an internal list, that shortens the time required to bring up your call.

If it does not, then it has to query the carrier's server for a link, that takes a bit as you already know.
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
an update to this, on Verizon you can dial *228 and your phone will update the PRL list.

I have my calendar program send me a text to do that once a month... and have done so 10 years.

however, I was talking to a Customer Tech Rep upper tier last week, and he said the new generation of smartphones now do that periodically anyway.
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones