• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dialing Lag

gotta say, this lag with the dialer (or really any task associated with the phone part of the phone) is just intolerable. Answering (if you can get to the phone during that half-second window you have), hanging up, any normal phone function just takes way too long. It can actually be a bit embarrassing -- I was with someone and had to call a mutual friend, and like a minute and a half later, the call goes through. *Sigh.

I love Android and all, but the hardware manufacturers need to get this straightened out, pronto. I love the ability to do all this cool stuff, but it's first and foremost my phone, and it needs to be able to perform phone functions without a problem.

I am sooooo with you. There is nothing HTC/Sprint can do for us. All they can tell me to do is a "hard reset", which I have already done, plus I re-flashed the 2.1 RUU. They released this shit to us with a major f_cking bug... a bug called LAG! The phone is, after all, a PHONE!

Like I have said before on the forums... if they don't patch this issue, I will never buy an HTC product ever again. I will have to switch to another Android carrier, because I doubt they can f_ck up android this bad!

Upvote 0
The .6 did nothing for my dialer lag, it is really bad! I didn't think I had much of a texting lag, but, at times, there is a texting lag too, as far as I can sometimes type faster than the on screen keyboard can accept the input.

I have turned my phone off and on several times since the update and that has been no help. Sprint store loaded 2.1 on my phone when I purchased, so I never had a chance to operate under 1.5 to have any reference base to see how that operated.

Upvote 0
The .6 did nothing for my dialer lag, it is really bad! I didn't think I had much of a texting lag, but, at times, there is a texting lag too, as far as I can sometimes type faster than the on screen keyboard can accept the input.

I have turned my phone off and on several times since the update and that has been no help. Sprint store loaded 2.1 on my phone when I purchased, so I never had a chance to operate under 1.5 to have any reference base to see how that operated.

Check out how bass-ackwards this this; Before the 2.1 upgrade, 1.5 had NO dialer lag and NO text input lag in either portrait or landscape mode. SO than they release a so called "software update" to our devices, and it totally f_cks up the ability for the damn phone to make a call or input text. Go to hell HTC!

I yelled at my phone earlier today. Should I feel bad?

Nope. Yell at it some more, in fact. It deserves it.

Upvote 0
Another update, for you followers, LOL, I decided not to re flash the phone, instead I got Sprint to send me a new phone, we will see the outcome when I get the phone, will keep you all posted. I told Sprint advanced tech Support it is pretty sad when you cannot make a normal call with out a lag as such and the phone is less that 6 months old, this was not acceptable.

Upvote 0
The Eris has just been EOL'd. That is the Hero's twin brother on VZW. So you know now that the EVO is out the Hero will be EOL'd anytime now. Their not going to bother working on a fix for this. That's why I'm switching to VZW, and the Droid X. This is the 3rd crappy HTC phone I've had to deal with. Hoping Motorola will be better.

Upvote 0
Most of the time I have a problem answering the phone. I press the answer button and it doesn't register for a long time. The person is usually on the phone, meanwhile, the on-screen options have no idea. Then, sometimes I press the answer button and it lags and then hangs up on my caller.

Also, when I'm attempting to make a call it takes a long time to actually initiate the call after I've pressed call. Its a mess. Not to mention the on-screen situations during a three-way call. You can't even use the on-screen options when trying to place a three-way call. You can only use the physical buttons on the bottom of the phone. Its a mess. they really need to attack this problem asap.:cool:

Upvote 0
You know the only way Sprint or HTC will do anything is if their bonehead Social Media folks actually use the tools that I use for my social media job and see how F-d up this phone has become. I am giving Sprint 1 week to hear back from upper management, and then it's BBB Complaint time. I am also working on finding attorneys right now so ...." funksoulsf

R u having major issues with your #htchero from #sprint? DM me, as i am getting a Class Action Suit goin. This is a joke #fail "

I'm sorry but when you over-pay for something like me and get the run around after spending hours on the phone, something has to give and Yes people, there are POWER IN NUMBERS. I urge anyone who , like me , feels like they have been cheated to contact Sprint and say "CanceL' and make your case to Account Services and threaten to leave, sue, etc.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Another update, for you followers, LOL, I decided not to re flash the phone, instead I got Sprint to send me a new phone, we will see the outcome when I get the phone, will keep you all posted. I told Sprint advanced tech Support it is pretty sad when you cannot make a normal call with out a lag as such and the phone is less that 6 months old, this was not acceptable.
Did you get your replacement phone and any noticeable difference. I am considering a replacement phone too. Waiting for your reply.

Upvote 0
Did you get your replacement phone and any noticeable difference. I am considering a replacement phone too. Waiting for your reply.

Actually yes and I was waiting to use it for a couple of days first, so much better, but I must say they are still a couple of issues, but much better, small lag once in a while, I notice the lag is mainly when using the people widget, also the people widget did close out a couple of times when scrolling, I also did get one freeze up again, which means the phone will be a sleep and the screen will not wake up, nothing brings it back, I can press the end button until I turn blue and no go, I have to actually remove the battery and replace it and then restart the phone, happened more often with the old phone, now it is possible it is an app that I downloaded from the market that maybe causing some of these issues, I was going to wait a couple of days before downloading anything from the market and use the phone first for a few days and see if there were any issues first, but I could not, LOL. So far in the past 3 days I have not received any auto reboots as of yet. The phone is definitely a little more snappier. I will post the apps I have installed to see if anyone thinks that they know of any issues that maybe causing any of those issues I had and have because of those apps.

Hancent, Sports Tap, Astro File, Color Notepad, How Far Am I, Fast Call, Dolphin HD, Google Voice, You Mail, Google Maps

FYI, I also received 3 phones from Sprint, long story short, so I tested all three and they are all the same but much better., I will keep you all posted on what else happens down the road, and I did play with an EVO at a Sprint store the other day and I can say from what I had heard about all of the issues with that phone I was truly impress with the snappiness and quickness of that phone and that was a phone that was on display so many hands have use that phone.

Upvote 0
Bottom line this phone is awful. I honestly would rather go back to a Razr. I call someone and while talking. the phone says I'm dialing again. The phone then puts the first call on hold now I have the same person on 2 calls. I can punch in a whole number and 10 seconds later it will dial 4 numbers then 2 seconds then the rest. I shouldn't have to reboot my phone, root, remove anything....its a phone it should work from the box. I have had it 3 months now and thought I would get used to it. I can be talking on the phone and the phone will beep and go to some random app downloaded on my phone. I only have 5 apps downloaded. I am getting ready to move out of town...when I get to my next town this phone and service is going away.

Upvote 0
What you do is simple. Call star2 and say Cancel or press the option. Talk to a manager and tell them how much of an issue the dial lag, etc since the 2.1 update has been. Make them create a ticket for you and keep it open. If the manager just offers you $50.00 - > do NOT accept it and tell them you want them to escalate it to a higher level manger or Mr Hesse. I just got a call from a manager who actually left me her direct-dial # (the first time in 12 yrs) but of course, I missed the call because it would not f...in open. If you still just get offered "an early upgrade to an EVO- tell them NO) and tell them they "NEED TO FIND A SOLUTION-NOW!)-> I know that if everyone who has this issue at least attempts to let Sprint and HTC know how messed up the Hero is now, we will get something going. I for one am looking into Legal options. Join me, as I am really sick of my Hero being a LOOSER phone.

+1, totally agree... so what to do now?

Upvote 0
What you do is simple. Call star2 and say Cancel or press the option. Talk to a manager and tell them how much of an issue the dial lag, etc since the 2.1 update has been. Make them create a ticket for you and keep it open. If the manager just offers you $50.00 - > do NOT accept it and tell them you want them to escalate it to a higher level manger or Mr Hesse. I just got a call from a manager who actually left me her direct-dial # (the first time in 12 yrs) but of course, I missed the call because it would not f...in open. If you still just get offered "an early upgrade to an EVO- tell them NO) and tell them they "NEED TO FIND A SOLUTION-NOW!)-> I know that if everyone who has this issue at least attempts to let Sprint and HTC know how messed up the Hero is now, we will get something going. I for one am looking into Legal options. Join me, as I am really sick of my Hero being a LOOSER phone.
Why wouldn't you take an early upgrade to EVO?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones