• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Did I brick my phone? [SOLVED]

Hello, new user here. Hopefully a seasoned member can help me out!
I have a Samsung S4 from Verizon. It has been rooted and I had been using CM 10.1 on it. I decided to go back to the stock ROM, so I restored it and everything was fine. Then I started to run out of internal memory. I figured that I would wipe my phone and go back to CM 10.1. So I booted into recovery (using ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.3.2) , and then wiped all data. Everything but my external SD card was deleted (System/Data/Cache/SDcard). When I went to install CM 10.1 recovery won't read my external sd card and can't mount it. I then tried to use ADB but can't get it to connect. Device manager shows an error and says drivers aren't installed. How can I get CM 10.1 back in internal memory to install it? Any other work around? Do I now own a $700 coaster? Thanks for any insight!

somehow it seems drivers got twerked. Uninstall current usb drivers for the device and try reinstalling them after you reset your phone and the computer. (device shouldnt be plugged in when installing.)

If you can get the usb drivers to work , id suggest using ODIN to flash back to stock. Here's a link to a guide for that ---> How to Unroot Galaxy S4 and Remove Root Completely! | GalaxyS4Root.com

you can download the stock firmware here:
--> Galaxy S4 Stock Firmware | GalaxyS4Root.com

If you really want custom stuff on there after that , you can just re-root etc and start over fresh. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Ok I think we are moving in the right direction. ODIN can find the phone fine. The stock firmware site doesn't have a Verizon option. I found a 'de-bloated' stock firmware, but there is no tar.MD5 file in the zip. Can I download from another carrier just to get up and running?
EDIT: I am currently downloading the Sprint version and will see what happens...

Upvote 0
Hi iostream :hello: welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread to the Verizon All Things Root forum for you. :)

One more place you can always find firmware, go to Sammobile Firmware, type your phone's model number in the search bar and a list of stock roms for your phone will show up. You have to be registered and logged in to download them though.

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones